muscovy and chickens

I will repeat again. The house (coop) you current have is not large enough for more than 2 full grown chickens, so adding anything else including any breed of duck will create a crowding issue.

I will repeat again. The house (coop) you current have is not large enough for more than 2 full grown chickens, so adding anything else including any breed of duck will create a crowding issue.
Yeah I'm pretty sure by now that I won't have the ducks in the chicken house, and I'll be adding the extra run space on, I only plan on having three chickens max, at least one is a bantam and the others will probably be small/light chickens.
I would never crowd my chickens, if i saw that they didn't have enough room I would fix it right away, so you don't have to worry about that.

Last edited:
You can buy or build a dog house adding a secure door and windows covered with hardware cloth for ventilation for a couple of ducks to sleep in at night. Open the door in the morning, close them up secure at night. No need to have food and water in over night with them so 2 ducks in a dog house would work well. Cement mixing pans from home depot and lowes make excellent pools too.

ah awesome thanks, I can probably find a cheap dog house on trademe or something, and I have heaps of stuff left over from making other coops to add the extra bits

My scovies sleep in the coop with the chickens....but then I have a 12x18 room for a coop. 2 of the ducks will go out the chicken door to get outside....and 2 of them are fussy and wait for me to come through the personnel door and then they go out into the main garage and then outside to forage. None of my winged creatures seem to believe that the fences I spent all that time putting up are there for their protection....they do believe that we own 3 acres for their enjoyment.

None of my winged creatures seem to believe that the fences I spent all that time putting up are there for their protection....they do believe that we own 3 acres for their enjoyment.

are you saying that if i leave the ducks out they'll jump/fly over the fences?
I heard that muscovys don't fly, as they're quite large, could they jump/fly over the fence I have? I've never seen a duck jump.
It's just over a meter tall, maybe a meter and a half.
Can I get their wings clipped, just in case?

Not fly????? My oldest duck spent the first months that she was here sleeping on the apex of the garage roof! She startled a guest by tapping on the skylight to inform her it was time for breakfast! They often FLY from the rear corner of the property when the chickens start their "ooh the food lady is here" call.

Back
Top Bottom