muscovy and chickens

wow i didnt realize this thread was still going.
anyway
the problem of housing was solved, and all of the others.
We built a big chicken run about 6mx1.5mx1.5m and kept them in there while they were growing their flight feathers.
One morning they got out and i found them on top of the run, so I just clipped them carefully, avoiding blood feather places, i'll have to do it again soo though.
They just run free range in the property, its all fenced so its safe from dogs. i'm sure there arent any other predators here. they're getting along fine with the cats.
We bought a kind of trough/tray for a little swimming pond but havent been using it lately because of the dry weather here.

We'll be buying some chickens soon and putting them in the new run and keeping them in most of the time and keeping the ducks out all of the time.
bought a dog kennel cheap for them to sleep in at night.

the problem now is finding out if they're girls or boys. I heard that females can honk or quack when they get a fright and one does often, one slightly less, and one not at all. They're all the same size though.

here they are:

in this pic the one in front is the honky one and the one in the back is the one that makes no noise

back is the quiet one front is the less honky one

front is the less honky one

back is the loudest, front is Garry dont mind him, this was the best face pic of this duck

quiet one

I heard that the wild type are generally smaller, have more black, and have less face stuff
I was wondering if maybe I have them rather than, what ever the other type is

The easiest way to tell the difference between male and female Muscovy ducks are the caruncles (the red, fleshy looking skin on the face); males have a lot more caruncles on their face than females.

My 1 1/2 yr old drake

My new hens

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom