muscovy and chickens

We don't have any decorative plants or anything, just some agapanthus and trees for privacy so we don't need to worry about them ruining our plants, i think., and they can, and probably will wonder around to our front yard which is about three or four times bigger than our main yard.
I'll see if our local bird place will clip their wings.
If they can't fly, will the still be able to flap/jump over the fence?
IF they do, will they be able to get back over, theres kinda a cliff under our fence, so the other side, from the pavement is about a quarter meter higher.
We have the chicken water feeders that let the water out a little at a time and don't allow for any debris to really get in so I think they'll be okay there.
I don't really mind the poop, we don't tend to spend much time in our yard so it would really affect us much.
I'll give them a go anyway, and If I can't handle them I'll give them to my grandma.

I went out to collect eggs for the NYD hatch....and looked over to my left....4 houses (we're on 1.5-3 acre lots!) There's my white duck...sitting on the neighbor's new deck! Guess I know who gets the next dozen eggs.

are you saying that if i leave the ducks out they'll jump/fly over the fences?
I heard that muscovys don't fly, as they're quite large, could they jump/fly over the fence I have? I've never seen a duck jump.
It's just over a meter tall, maybe a meter and a half.
Can I get their wings clipped, just in case?

I just yesterday watched my neighbor's flock of Muscovies fly over the top of his pole barn with incredible ease. They most definately fly.

Muscovy ducks(GIRLS) most definitely fly and well. My girls clear the 5ft fence around their coop/barn. I do not clip mine that said i am in the country and my birds actually are free ranged. The drakes it varies, my biggest cannot(and i have noticed the younger guy has stopped too he's over 1yo) young drakes sure can but as they mature most are just to heavy too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom