Muscovy drake with injured leg/legs

Waterbird1

In the Brooder
Aug 25, 2022
I have Muscovy drake that is about 6 months old with a very badly injured leg/legs. At first I thought it was just one leg but now am worried it might be both because he can’t walk without using his wings to push himself along the ground:( He has been in a dog crate with food and vitamins added to his water. I’m going to move inside tomorrow to get a better look at his legs. I haven’t been able to see anything out of the ordinary other than him having one of them kind of out to the side when he is laying down. Don’t see signs of bumblefoot and haven’t been able to find swelling. He perks up in the water, but other than that he seems sad and lethargic. Is there anything I can give him to prevent infection if it isn’t too late? Anything for pain I can get otc or that I might have a t home? I feel so horrible for him, I don’t know how he hurt himself but it’s the worst injury I’ve seen in any of my ducks and unfortunately the vet isn’t an option for us.

If you can get to a TSC and pick up some liquid B complex that will treat a niacin deficiency much better and quicker than just niacin.
Is he eating? the best way to give the liquid B complex is over a small amount of treat or feed so your sure he is getting the full dose which is 1 ml. daily. If it's a sprain then the liquid B complex will help support it until healed. Rest water therapy and vitamins are about all you can do.
When you get him out of the crate for pool time compare his injured leg with the other one from the hip socket all the way down to the bottom of his foot. Hopefully, if there is anything out of norm you'll be able to tell by comparing.
This link will show you what to look for in the liquid B complex.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...deficiency-to-clear-up.1544352/#post-26069118
:welcome

Thank you, its hard to really tell if his legs are bowed or anything, he really doesn’t want to stand. When I take him to the pool tomorrow I will try to get a look at them when he is standing in the water. I put some niacin from a b3 pill in his water when I brought him inside tonight, hoping it helps, thank you.
Just fyi, if it is a deficiency, it will take a while to see improvement.

I have Muscovy drake that is about 6 months old with a very badly injured leg/legs. At first I thought it was just one leg but now am worried it might be both because he can’t walk without using his wings to push himself along the ground:( He has been in a dog crate with food and vitamins added to his water. I’m going to move inside tomorrow to get a better look at his legs. I haven’t been able to see anything out of the ordinary other than him having one of them kind of out to the side when he is laying down. Don’t see signs of bumblefoot and haven’t been able to find swelling. He perks up in the water, but other than that he seems sad and lethargic. Is there anything I can give him to prevent infection if it isn’t too late? Anything for pain I can get otc or that I might have a t home? I feel so horrible for him, I don’t know how he hurt himself but it’s the worst injury I’ve seen in any of my ducks and unfortunately the vet isn’t an option for us.
Can you post some pictures? It kind of sounds like a niacin deficiency, but I won’t be sure unless I have some pictures. Are his legs bowed, or turned in? Or are their open wounds?

@Miss Lydia
@Aunt Angus

Can you post some pictures? It kind of sounds like a niacin deficiency, but I won’t be sure unless I have some pictures. Are his legs bowed, or turned in? Or are their open wounds?

@Miss Lydia
@Aunt Angus
I decided to go ahead and move him inside tonight, I can’t see any wounds or anything like that, but he has been laying with his right leg out from underneath him, kind of to the side. Managed to get these pictures, but didn’t get more because I didn’t want to bother him too much. Didn’t get any pics of the bottoms of his feet, but have been looking at them every other day to check for signs of bumblefoot and haven’t seen anything other than dirt. I had vitamins in his water it was either quick chik or similar. Changed out his water and added some niacin to it when I moved him inside.

Attachments

• 0885E756-5113-4B01-B4B7-D531DE923021.jpeg
    0885E756-5113-4B01-B4B7-D531DE923021.jpeg
    658.5 KB · Views: 3
  • B7B1972A-2BE7-41BB-B2DA-FDB6F5E9A085.jpeg
    B7B1972A-2BE7-41BB-B2DA-FDB6F5E9A085.jpeg
    336.9 KB · Views: 3
  • A2ED2474-C9E6-4F2C-A97B-0C42EE4CEA5B.jpeg
    A2ED2474-C9E6-4F2C-A97B-0C42EE4CEA5B.jpeg
    367.6 KB · Views: 3
It’s been about 5-6 days now. How would I tell if it’s a sprain?
You wouldn't, really. 5-6 days is pretty long for a sprain, in my experience, but I suppose it's still a possibility.

I have a clumsy Welsh Harlequin who sometimes bangs up her leg doing who knows what. I'll find her scooting around using her wings, sometimes laying on her side to take weight off her leg. A couple of days later, she'll be right as rain.

My girl is 1.5 years old and gets nutritional yeast still in her feed. I wonder if it is a niacin deficiency. Are his legs bowed at all? Or is he knock kneed when he does stand?

I think keeping him in a crate or something to restrict his movement is a good idea. You can keep an eye on his poop and his overall condition more easily, too. I'd maybe up his niacin by maybe getting niacinamide or vitamin B3 and giving that to him for a while. And a vet visit is never a bad idea, if feasible.

Poor guy. I hope he gets better soon.

You wouldn't, really. 5-6 days is pretty long for a sprain, in my experience, but I suppose it's still a possibility.

I have a clumsy Welsh Harlequin who sometimes bangs up her leg doing who knows what. I'll find her scooting around using her wings, sometimes laying on her side to take weight off her leg. A couple of days later, she'll be right as rain.

My girl is 1.5 years old and gets nutritional yeast still in her feed. I wonder if it is a niacin deficiency. Are his legs bowed at all? Or is he knock kneed when he does stand?

I think keeping him in a crate or something to restrict his movement is a good idea. You can keep an eye on his poop and his overall condition more easily, too. I'd maybe up his niacin by maybe getting niacinamide or vitamin B3 and giving that to him for a while. And a vet visit is never a bad idea, if feasible.

Poor guy. I hope he gets better soon.
Thank you, its hard to really tell if his legs are bowed or anything, he really doesn’t want to stand. When I take him to the pool tomorrow I will try to get a look at them when he is standing in the water. I put some niacin from a b3 pill in his water when I brought him inside tonight, hoping it helps, thank you.

If you can get to a TSC and pick up some liquid B complex that will treat a niacin deficiency much better and quicker than just niacin.
Is he eating? the best way to give the liquid B complex is over a small amount of treat or feed so your sure he is getting the full dose which is 1 ml. daily. If it's a sprain then the liquid B complex will help support it until healed. Rest water therapy and vitamins are about all you can do.
When you get him out of the crate for pool time compare his injured leg with the other one from the hip socket all the way down to the bottom of his foot. Hopefully, if there is anything out of norm you'll be able to tell by comparing.
This link will show you what to look for in the liquid B complex.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...deficiency-to-clear-up.1544352/#post-26069118
:welcome
You know, I've read about of threads about this, and somehow I completely missed the fact that B complex is the better treatment for niacin deficiency. I have B complex.
🤦‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom