Muscovy Drakes and agression at mating time:-/

I have two drakes, father and son, and 11 hens.  I have never seen ANY aggression at all among my ducks.  Both drakes actively breed, the hens lay like crazy, the few  times they do bite each other it's just a little feather pulling, no visible damage afterward, just sort of "moveover, you're in my way".  Nor have my drakes EVER shown the least aggression to me; they aren't "tame" as I don't need or want them to be, but I do pick them up a few times a year to clip the wings.  My current avatar is the senior drake, who is a gentle fellow, protective of newborn ducklings and never rough with the hens. I did introduce a pair of Pekins to the flock of Muscovies;  sold the Pekin drake the next year as I don't want crossbred ducks, but I just brought the Pekins home and threw them in with the Muscovies, no trouble at all.  Mine all live in one flock, I have never separated them for any reason. Maybe it's just my flock, but really I've never seen any of the aggression other people keep talking about.

You are very lucky :)
The drake I had trouble with was insane about it. He was hand raised (which I'll never have in my flock again) and was with his three sisters who were really close as a flock.
The other three hens and drake I introduced were beaten severely. I ended up having to re-home two of the new hens for thier well being and then a few weeks later I chose to re-home my original drake and one of his sisters to a friend who had a few silkies. He is fine there.
I did that because A, I didn't want the heart ache in my yard (the ducks live in our front yard where I spend a bit of time) and B, I didn't want in-breeding.
I know some say it is okay but of the first batch (17 eggs) only two made it to "full term" and are now overdue and one I helped out yesterday but he died so I think there's something to it.
I kept the introduced drake who is somewhat friendly now but I try not to make him a pet and he's slowly learning how to be the man of the flock.
It astounds me what a juggling act it has been.
Were your flock all together from the start?

Last edited:
At least part of the reason is that I keep them in as natural a state as possible. No incubators, no brood lamps, no handling as ducklings. They are farm animals, not pets. I rarely handle them except to clip wings. All mine were hatched and raised by their mothers and NOT imprinted on humans or made into pets! They free range, eat all the insects and mice they can find, brood their young with NO help from humans, and as a result are happy, healthy, NATURAL ducks. They give me no trouble whatever, good birds, prolific as hell and endlessly entertaining. Yes, I've always had all of them together in a flock, bought them as juveniles and then let them breed when they were old enough and added several adult hens, which fit right in.

Last edited:
Thank you! It's the same principal as horses in a herd on pasture are much, much happier and healthier than a horse locked up in a stall. Natural is always best.

your drake is showing his dominance to the herd which includes you. i'm sure there is a lot of head bobbing and hissing which was also funny when i had muscovy ducks. your drake hates the new one and does not want to share HIS hens. their going to fight untill a pecking order is established. as for him pecking you, i have no answer. 3 young hens, your are going to have your hands full with chicks once they start nesting, muscovy ducks are prolific layers and hatch HUGE clutches of eggs. I once had a hen come off her nest with 22 chicks which hatched up the crotch of my neighbors tree.

Back
Top Bottom