Muscovy Duck Advice...

WonderBolt

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 13, 2014
Ok so an hour or so ago I posted a thread about Silver Appleyards as a starter duck, well I went to buy a duck house off someone this evening and they happen to breed Muscovies, and I ended up agreeing to have two young females!

As I said in previous thread, I am a total duck beginner so any advice no matter how small will be greatly received.

Many thanks

First of all I would like to say :welcome. I have had this breed before in the past and here are so advice and info I have got :) in my experience:

1. Muscovites are large birds and do require larger housing than many other duck breeds.

2. They are seasonal layers but do lay large batches in quick succession .

3. In my experience have made fantastic mothers.

4. They are very good at feeding on aquatic plants.

5. They like to roost which is quite strange for a duck, I don't mean give them roosting bars but many like nothing more than to perch on low roofs or branches.

6. Their feathers aren't as water proof as some breeds so shelter in the rain available is advised.

7. They make excellent swimmers and we had a job to get them in at night because of this.

8. They also are excellent divers continuously we watched ours go under one end of our pond and come out the other ( bearing in mind our pond is about 7-8m long!! )

Hopes this helps anymore questions I would be happy to answer (as long as I know the answer of course) :)

Thank you for the advice, I'm a bit worried now. The breeder knew our cage was for them to live in (obviously they will get to free range when they've settled a bit) but now I'm worried it's too small!

It's a run with a raised hut, it's 3ft wide, 6ft long and the run is 3ft high, the bit with the house is 5ft. I don't want them to be cramped up :(

Thank you for the advice, I'm a bit worried now. The breeder knew our cage was for them to live in (obviously they will get to free range when they've settled a bit) but now I'm worried it's too small!

It's a run with a raised hut, it's 3ft wide, 6ft long and the run is 3ft high, the bit with the house is 5ft. I don't want them to be cramped up :(

The problem is we live in terraced houses and the gardens are seperated by 3ft high fences, and I'm sure the neihbours wont want them jumping into their garden... I'm starting to think this is a mistake. I'd love them but I really don't want to compromise their care in anyway.

Not really, we're lucky in the UK that most of our 'predators' wouldn't take on a larger duck, but they'd be in a secure pen at night. The neighbours have two cats but they're not particularly good hunters, my rabbits and guinea pigs have lived happily in the garden with no disturbances, because it's quite a built up area animals like foxes don't really hang around long enough to dig into things but we'd make sure they couldn't dig through anyway.

oh I'm sorry then you can clip they're wings, its totally fine if they're in a pretty much safe all the time area. i was thinking you would like free range them and stuff like most people do, but yes theyre great indoor pets also ( if they have a diaper) and they love just coming up to you and cooing. so i guess you can clip they're wings since like you have a good little area for them

Back
Top Bottom