Muscovy duck colors! what will they look like/genetics

FolkSonginC

Songster
May 2, 2019
Peaks Island, ME
I'm getting three muscovies tomorrow and I'm super excited, I've never had muscovies before but I think they're so cool! I'm getting them from a reputable breeder, and she said the colors are buff, lilac, and blue barred. I'm familiar with blue, but I've never seen any pictures of lilac or buff muscovies before, and they're young so they don't have their feathers yet. Any idea of what that will look like/any pictures? Also, I'm wondering what colors they could make if I breed them. The lilac is a drake, if anyone has any guesses I'm just curious! Thinking about selling a few locally. Here is a pic of the buff and lilac:
116833778_3065944936851820_2852949473920888524_o.jpg

Edit: looking for name suggestions, too!

Last edited:
A lavender Drake over a blue barred Duck will give you 50% blacks and 50% blues (non sex linked) and they would all carry the barred gene!! :D I don't know the genetics of buff though :'(
It's actually lilac, not lavender! I kept getting them confused, until the breeder told me the lilac one is the one with the brown head! I thought lilac was basically lavender, but apparently it's blue mixed with chocolate. So they turn out a kind of brownish-grey I guess? Still super curious!

My bad! I had lilac on the second page of stuff I'd written down xD in a lot of other species (dogs and pigeons especially!) There's a million names for each genetical color haha, but I did also find buff in my notes! It's pearl-grey + chocolate xD so here's my final guesses :D

Lilac x Blue Barred would make;
MALE- black, blue, and pearl-grey
FEMALE- buff, chocolate, and lilac
ALL- carrying barred

Lilac x Buff would make;
ALL- 50% lilac and 50% buff

My bad! I had lilac on the second page of stuff I'd written down xD in a lot of other species (dogs and pigeons especially!) There's a million names for each genetical color haha, but I did also find buff in my notes! It's pearl-grey + chocolate xD so here's my final guesses :D

Lilac x Blue Barred would make;
MALE- black, blue, and pearl-grey
FEMALE- buff, chocolate, and lilac
ALL- carrying barred

Lilac x Buff would make;
ALL- 50% lilac and 50% buff
Cool! Can't wait to see how they feather out, I have no idea what they're going to look like lol. The breeder (al's quackery) doesn't have any pictures of buff on her website, so it's a surprise! I read there's a lot of variation in shade, too. If I ever get there, third generation would be pretty cool as I could see how the different colors and barring look!

Barring is my favorite gene, its something that when I get Muscovys will be a MUST! :D you're super lucky with all of these colors, basically living my dream haha! Good luck with them, post pics when they arrive and when they grow! :D

Barring is my favorite gene, its something that when I get Muscovys will be a MUST! :D you're super lucky with all of these colors, basically living my dream haha! Good luck with them, post pics when they arrive and when they grow! :D
I definitely will! I got lucky because I live in southern maine, only 30 minutes away from a really cool (and apparently well known) breeder! She breeds for friendliness, smaller caruncles, and rare colors. She also breeds the looney pattern, which I've never heard of, but it's so cool! It's a combination of ripple and barred. I think that will have to be next on my list. I was going to offer to hatch some for you once I can, but you are quite literally on the other side of the country, haha.

here are the babies! I don't think they were kept together previously, but they get along so well! I was really surprised, none of my mallard derived ducks would be that friendly with some random ducklings.
20200811_165154.jpg
20200813_150107.jpg

Back
Top Bottom