Muscovy duck egg question.....

SamG347

Songster
12 Years
Mar 4, 2007
PA
I have my 8 scovy eggs in the incubator. Set them thursday today would be the 4th day of incubation. When I candle them all I see is what I believe to be the yolk in the center.....no veins as of yet. I know I didn't fry the eggs because the temp has been around 99 for most of the incuabtion....humidity 45-55%...one day though the incubator did get to 102 for a breif period when the humidity dropped...But I don't think that would have done it.
Is it too early to tell yet on scovy eggs or should I be seeing something.
I just wish these eggs would develope I'm having a Pi$$ poor quail hatch today..with one chick dead....one chick deformed...and only one more egg showing signs of hatching. Today is just not my day.
sad.png

Thats what I was wondering.....I have looked it up and regular duck eggs show veins by day 5.....but I wasn't sure if muscovy eggs would or not....I really hope they will hatch.
fl.gif

You should be fine about the 102 tempeture spike, mother muscovies set all the time and I am sure my hen went to 102.

I would think that you really wouldnt see much at day 4, try again around day 8 or so and then you should really see something.

And sorry about your quail hatch
hmm.png
my Buff Orp hatch has been like that today also, but just humidity problems.

Thanks guys! Yes I have been told to wait until the week+ mark to candle scovy eggs for sure. I was going to say I must have bad luck because I would almost bet all these eggs would have to be fertile from what I hear about scovys.
Thanks again all!
big_smile.png

I am going to reply to this post and a hundred just like it..

You people candle way too early and then complain because you don't see any progress..
wait until day 10 at least..

First off I wasn't complaining about it....second off...I would really like to know what you mean by "you people" you TOO were a novice at one point...show some respect. I have been keeping poultry for half my life....just never had ducks.
Thanks everyone else for the advice!
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom