Muscovy Duck laying habits

Only 2 out of my flock has started laying last week and I'm in southern NY--weather's been reaaaallyy wonky so I think that's why. Once the drake starts mounting them, it's close. My drake started a week before I got that first egg.

Thought I'd update everyone! Cleaned the coop completely, took everything out, new straw down... NO EGGS!!!!! Anywhere!!! So here's what I'm thinking, my chickens don't like it when there's an egg out of the nesting box so maybe they get to the eggs before I do? What I'm doing tonight is sperating my hens from the rest of the flock (including chickens) and we will see if there are eggs tomorrow morning!! My females have a good five fingers between their hip bones and isn't that a sign they are laying? Wish me luck!!!

Talk about a let down. Went out this morning and not only were there no eggs, but the egg that I put in there as a decoy disappeared too!!!! Do they need privacy? I've read they just lay in the corner.... I'm so confused, tomorrow morning I'm gonna get up at 4:30 and just watch....

Mine like privacy I set up little cubbies for them inside their house. Even a piece of plywood laid against a wall and secured as long as they can get under it.

Talk about a let down. Went out this morning and not only were there no eggs, but the egg that I put in there as a decoy disappeared too!!!! Do they need privacy? I've read they just lay in the corner.... I'm so confused, tomorrow morning I'm gonna get up at 4:30 and just watch....
What kind of egg did you put as a decoy - real or fake?

I put in a real egg from a chicken, was that wrong to do?
No, I was just wondering. They must be moving it or something is taking the eggs maybe? I think the ducks can roll the eggs to a different location. But, if you aren't finding any anywhere, I wonder if you might have a critter (rat, snake, etc) stealing eggs?

IMG_0797.JPG
IMG_0801.JPG
No, I was just wondering. They must be moving it or something is taking the eggs maybe? I think the ducks can roll the eggs to a different location. But, if you aren't finding any anywhere, I wonder if you might have a critter (rat, snake, etc) stealing eggs?
I've never seen a rat in the eight years of being here, so I don't think it's that. We do have Gardner snakes though.. since putting up the privacy stuff though, two of the hens haven't left them this morning. So I think that's a good sign! How long will they sit in there before laying one?!?!

Back
Top Bottom