Muscovy duckling colors?

yoie

Songster
Jan 28, 2011
Easternshore of Maryland
I finally got my three muscovy ducklings on Friday and just wondering what colors I ended up getting. The two moms (at least the ones that were setting on the eggs were a black/white and a lavender. The dad could have been any colors, black/white, white, lavender, and chocolate. He also had some barred and ripples of the chocolate and black/whites.

A nice group shot

As close as I could get to a solid color, besides white.

This one has patches of brown (had the lightest brown color of the whole clutch)

The only one like it in the clutch, small patch of color on tail and black/grey underfluff on back

The picture at the top looks like you have one black, one black and white pied, and one lavender.
But the close-up pictures make me think differently!
The mostly solid colored one looks like he/she will be chocolate. If the legs are brown, then that will most likely be the case since the down is brown as well.
The pied one could still be black even though the head spot looks brown. What color is the rest of his/her body (besides white). If it is black, then you have a black and white pied.
The last one is most likely a lavender. The gray bill and dark down starting to show up makes me believe this. Here is a picture of my lavenders as ducklings.

Day old

2-3 weeks old

The one laying down ended up black, the other two are chocolates. So you can see here how the black ones may have some brown on them as babies.

Ok, I took a closer look at them and the first one has brown legs with white toes. The second one has a brownish patch on its back, about the same color as the first. It also has a brown spot on the side of its beak. Now the third one has a brown patch on its tail, but it looks greyish coming in on its back.

I finally got my three muscovy ducklings on Friday and just wondering what colors I ended up getting. The two moms (at least the ones that were setting on the eggs were a black/white and a lavender. The dad could have been any colors, black/white, white, lavender, and chocolate. He also had some barred and ripples of the chocolate and black/whites.

A nice group shot

As close as I could get to a solid color, besides white.

This one has patches of brown (had the lightest brown color of the whole clutch)

The only one like it in the clutch, small patch of color on tail and black/grey underfluff on back

see i would have called the top one blue and the bottom one blue barred, but, i havent seen lavenders as babies. its a good test to see if you really have lavendars or silvers. if the ducklings turn out blue then they are silvers. i just looked at the group shot and the two darks ones look black! its hard with cameras sometimes.

just read "learycows" comment, sounds like a better guess than me, i have no idea with chocolates either, thats why i like these forums, always learning.

having hatched out a lot of silvers this year, looking at those lavender ducklings, i can see why there is so much confusion, there's not much difference at all!

Yea I'm curious to see what they turn into. I love watching the changes they go through! Like I had one EE chick hatch out very dark black/brown and now it is mostly white with black lacing! With these guys, the breeder had no clue on the dads they are all free ranging and he did his best guessing with the moms. But I know how sneaky moms can be and take over nest or add eggs from others. I'll keep updating with pics to see how they progress.

ha, even when you know the exact parents it can be a nightmare to pick colours early! and its a 5 to 6 week wait until they feather out.

Took some more pics of them today! Boy are they growing fast.

Here is a new group shot, the darkest seems to be the biggest of the group. Here's to hoping I got 2 girls and 1 boy
fl.gif

This one is getting more darker under-fluff and is the feistiest of the group.

This is the dark ones feet, just love how the tips are light! Also brown fluff is coming in on the belly, hopefully it is a chocolate!

And just a fun group shot of the Muscovy's with their other duckling brooder buddies. You got to love ducks, just a few hours ago this brooder was spotless!

Back
Top Bottom