Muscovy Duckling - Treating niacin deficiency. Mealworms ok?

felys

Songster
Apr 1, 2022
Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia
Hello

I have a 3 week old Muscovy duckling that has a bit of a crooked leg. She's starting to step on her own feet.

She has been eating non medicated chick feed plus brewer's yeast since day 1. I also started giving adding brewer's yeast to her water when I noticed her starting to step on her own feet (a week ago). It doesn't seem to be worsening but it's not getting better.

She's growing up pretty fast. Already more than double her hatching size.

What else can I do to help her? She's walking and running about like normal. She runs pretty fast. But she would also sit down after bursts of activity, seemingly a bit lazy. She also enjoys daily supervised swims.

She loves mealworms. It is a good addition to her diet? How much can I give her? Would it help with her legs?

Thanks in advance.

As your duck has leg problems, I would urgently treat with liquid vitamin B complex. It says injectable, but you give 1ml a day to them orally. You can put it over their food or give it to them over treats. Continue adding 1 tablespoon brewer's yeast per cup of feed as maintenance treatment. Durvet high level Vitamin B should be available form Tractor Supply

Attachments

• High level Vit B Complex.JPG
    High level Vit B Complex.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 23
As your duck has leg problems, I would urgently treat with liquid vitamin B complex. It says injectable, but you give 1ml a day to them orally. You can put it over their food or give it to them over treats. Continue adding 1 tablespoon brewer's yeast per cup of feed as maintenance treatment. Durvet high level Vitamin B should be available form Tractor Supply
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately where I'm located, I haven't seen durvet. I'm not in the US.

Are there any other options?

Would human vitamin tablets work? The ones available for are a mix of Vit B complex and Vit C. Is that ok?

I would recommend getting her on a proper duck specific food as well as give the added niacin/brewer's yeast. Chick starter doesn't have any of the correct nutrition for a duckling.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately where I'm located, I haven't seen durvet. I'm not in the US.

Are there any other options?

Would human vitamin tablets work? The ones available for are a mix of Vit B complex and Vit C. Is that ok?
I note that you are in Malaysia. Human formulations of Vitamin B are safe for ducks, but likely more expensive than veterinary formulations. I would try and find a veterinary supplier. If using human formulation, try and find a vitamin complex B formulation rather than a mix with Vitamin C. However, vitamin C will not harm your duckling. Read the label: be sure the complex includes niacin/Niacinamide.

The dose of Niacinamide is 100 mg per day; try and be sure it is eaten. So don't just crush a tablet and sprinkle on a bowl of feed.

As niacin is water soluble, you should be able to crush the tablets and dissolve them in a small amount of warm [not hot] water. That might make it easier to get 100 mg into your duckling each day. But if crushing and dissolving, do it fresh before giving each dose: do not advance make a batch as the solution might be unstable.

Alo, can you post a photo showing the problem with your duckling's leg?
Sorry for the late reply. I have been really busy. It was holiday season.

Quacker Watson seems to be okay now. I put brewer's yeast into the water and also feed.

I also gave her more time out of her brooder with time to swim.

I have a video but I can't seem to upload that here directly.

Attachments

• IMG_20220501_203425.jpg
    IMG_20220501_203425.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20220501_203427.jpg
    IMG_20220501_203427.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 19
Sorry for the late reply. I have been really busy. It was holiday season.

Quacker Watson seems to be okay now. I put brewer's yeast into the water and also feed.

I also gave her more time out of her brooder with time to swim.

I have a video but I can't seem to upload that here directly.
She looks lovely. I think she will need niacin supplements --- brewer's yeast -- long term to keep her healthy.

As an FYI, it's not possible to upload video directly to Backyard Chickens. upload to you tube or similar and post the link on Backyard Chickens

Back
Top Bottom