Muscovy ducks - how much space?

AmeliaBedelia

Crowing
Jan 23, 2021
Georgia, USA
How much space do Muscovy hens need to free range effectively? We have about 1/4 acre that is fenced. If their wings were clipped, would that be enough space for them to be happy and forage a decent bit of their diet? Would they destroy the yard entirely?

How much space do Muscovy hens need to free range effectively? We have about 1/4 acre that is fenced. If their wings were clipped, would that be enough space for them to be happy and forage a decent bit of their diet? Would they destroy the yard entirely?
Yes, ample space. I have 4 drakes, including 3 muscovy drakes on no more than 4000 square feet. They do not use the full area available to them. For example, they don't come round and behind the shed unless they are following me to my composters.

But the ducks still need feeding. Foraging adds to the quality of the diet but doesnt count much towards the quantity. My drakes are fed one cupful each duck pellets morning and evening. They get extra greens and bugs by foraging.

Your ducks will flattened grass and weeds underfoot. I am on v sandy soil and dont get mud, but ducks on clay and other soils will get mud round their pool and water pots. I use leaf mulch ground cover and it looks good. The ducks like foraging in it for bugs. If you dont have access to suitable leaves (i collect and store live oak leaves from round my neighborhood in March) you might use shredded wood mulch along the well trodden duck trails

Back
Top Bottom