Muscovy Ducks Won't Leave Nest

Duckity1

Hatching
Feb 1, 2018
I've been reading the various threads re ducks sitting on eggs for long periods but my two haven't laid for several weeks. They seem happy to sit in their coop permanently unless I lift them out. They are quite "grumpy" about this and will peck at me and the hens but then have a swim in the pond, gobble some food and then are anxious to go back to the nest. How long is this likely to continue as I'd prefer them to free range in the garden and do what they usually do.

Welcome to BYC!

Your muscovies have gone broody. Sometimes, this can be resolved by removing the eggs, but a lot of muscovies will go broody on air. Destroy or block off the nesting site and remove the ducks repeatedly until they get through their heads that they are not to sit there any longer--no eggs are going to hatch.

Thanks yes that is good advice. I've cleaned out their nest in the coop and lock them out each morning. They are slowly coming around, venturing further away each day but still very keen to go back in in the evening. I hadn't realised they would go broody when there are no eggs to sit on.

I found this post as I was looking for place to pose this very question so am wondering how removing the nesting box worked out for you? I have a one year old Muscovy hen who is usually so sweet and has never mated so we’re sure that both batches of eggs have been unfertilized. With this second batch, despite having removed all her eggs, she sits in her box all day and night, coming out for just a few minutes once or twice a day and then is anxious to get back to her box. When she’s out she’s pecking the heck out of my feet! We’d thought she would eventually figure out that there’s no eggs to hatch but it’s been a couple of weeks since she laid her last egg and she seems only to be hunkering down even more and am wondering what the heck to do.

She has no eggs right? Gosh this is something any who have Muscovy’s have delt with I’ve had them since 2004 so you can imagine. I have one now that sits in what she determines is her nest over night in the coop. So I take who Evers eggs are under her in the morning I have Runners Buffs and other Muscovy’s who will contribute. As soon as I take those eggs she goes and gets on what ever has been laid In the other duck or goose house. So it’s a never ending battle. I just let it run it’s course. One year she was broody all summer into fall. Thankfully she comes out to eat drink and swim so at least she is taking care of herself.Just make sure she is eating an drinking because being broody can run them down.

She’s our only duck and is an indoor/outdoor duck. She’s had no ‘suitors’ and currently has no eggs. Her nesting box is inside and we were actually happy with her being inside so often with the fireworks on the Fourth and also some peregrines that were (hopefully) passing through. But we grew concerned as the more time passes the more hunkered down and cranky she’s gotten. She comes out once, maybe twice a day to eat and sometimes bath but otherwise she’s in her box probably 21 hours a day. We took her box away this afternoon but are wondering if this was the right thing to have done.

She’s our only duck and is an indoor/outdoor duck. She’s had no ‘suitors’ and currently has no eggs. Her nesting box is inside and we were actually happy with her being inside so often with the fireworks on the Fourth and also some peregrines that were (hopefully) passing through. But we grew concerned as the more time passes the more hunkered down and cranky she’s gotten. She comes out once, maybe twice a day to eat and sometimes bath but otherwise she’s in her box probably 21 hours a day. We took her box away this afternoon but are wondering if this was the right thing to have done.
I wonder if freezing some water bottles and sticking them under her will discourage her? Not that I'm experienced in this, but I kind of feel like making brooding uncomfortable will make her give up

I have a wild Muscovy duck that started laying eggs in April in my flowerbed. She laid about 18 eggs. She is still sitting on them 3 months later. I feel bad for her and don’t know what to do.

Run her off and toss all the eggs. No sense in letting her keep sitting. I have 2 Muscovy females that have been brooding since May No egg I have taken all of them. But I do make sure they come off the nests at least 1-2X a day to eat drink and bathe. They are sure perssitant.

Back
Top Bottom