Muscovy ducks

Ashelymarie93

Hatching
Jul 19, 2018
So, last year we started our farm off with mostly muscovy ducks. We have geese, chickens, and turkies too. However, we are mostly having a problem with our muscovies. Since last year they have mixed with our other ducks (and most are quite adorable), however two days ago four of them fell sick(when I say sick, I mean laying down not really moving, labored breathing, and lulling their head around like they just don't have any energy) and died less than 24 hrs from finding them. The free rangers are the only ones getting sick, but it's just the muscovy mixbreeds. Our chickens, turkies, and geese are all fine. We haven't done anything different that would make them sick. Any ideas what it could be? Again, it's only been the muscovy mixbreeds. None of our other poultry have been sick.

You would probably need to send at least one off for a necropsy to be sure.
How old were the ones that died?
Sorry to hear this has happened to your flock.
Welcome to byc.

Last edited:
Thank you, we've had several that were just a few months old, but some of the ones that were 2+ yrs old have died too. Since my post we have lost a total of 6 ducks, 5 chickens, 2 guineas, and we have 2 geese that are now sick as well. Unfortunately we still don't know the cause, but will be having a vet look at one of the geese to see what it is and what we can do to keep the rest of our animals from being contaminated. We've been destroying the dececed animals to keep other animals from eating them. As unfortunate as it is to loose so many animals, I am mostly worried about my children being near them now. Hopefully the vet will have some answers for us

I am so sorry to hear this.:hugsI would not let any more of your animals free range till you know what is going on. Do you ever spray your grass for weeds etc? The weed killer/all yard sprays are all very very toxic and can lead to death.

So far we still don't know what's going on. We don't spray anything, especially with the kids playing outside. So far we've been able to keep the sick ones separate from everything else in hopes it will be contained. I, personally, wont rule out them being poisoned by neighbors as we had problems with the ducks crossing the road to get to a neighbor's spring(and they didn't like it too much, we actually had to get rid of most of the flock).

So far we still don't know what's going on. We don't spray anything, especially with the kids playing outside. So far we've been able to keep the sick ones separate from everything else in hopes it will be contained. I, personally, wont rule out them being poisoned by neighbors as we had problems with the ducks crossing the road to get to a neighbor's spring(and they didn't like it too much, we actually had to get rid of most of the flock).
That's sad. I hope this is not an intentional poisoning. :(

Back
Top Bottom