Muscovy Ducks

So got pair set up in big pen with stump and log perches, a covered over moist ground like had nest/hide box in open back protected dark corner, another open top nest box crate full of grass and their feathers that they shed and i put all in with egg and surrounded for cover with stumps and logs, a med sized kiddy pool with perching stumps and logs around and water plants and critters in to forage for (I'm trying to breed up mosquito fish again, as rescued bunch from destroyed city pond and kept few for garden pond and they're invaluable). problem is i don't see the scovies eating hardly anything except billing the air seemingly eating at gnats flies and mosquitos.. possibly other ground bugs and stuff off and out of stumps and logs. also some worms a day I've collected from fams property and female mostly snaps up three or four before losing interest, male ate two or three once yesterday.

Last edited:
What do your Muscovy girls nest in, I have had several clutches not hatch at all. and the two that did hatch were only 4 and 6 ducklings out of clutches of 20 plus eggs.

I guess i am thinking it is the nesting situation, but not sure

I don't know if they're eating feed i put out hardly to if at all as have a pair of chinease owl pigeons with just hatched squeakers, high up on pole perches in nest, in same pen (also considering putting pair of belgium D' uccles back in with them.. the scovie hen isn't laying anymore in week almost I've had them but maybe has been putting moisture on egg, as check and when was starting to dry out around, then would suddenly be wet ect again.. she has gotten an orange carruncle, which saw someone posted ment done laying and was going broody (???). so wondering if i should pull single egg and try to hatch, or eat, or should i try to get more scovie or even other like runner duck eggs ect to hatch with in bator, or under her if she goes broody, for buddies in case flea market has no hatchling ducklings for sale in month? id get actual bator this time and keep in spare bedroom if get eggs, and she doesn't go broody.

Last edited:
This female was just dropping eggs on flat packed down corner of wet dirt in open pen in middle of yard. other hen that all eggs were pipping ect, had been in depression in mud with rotten grass ect and manure, wet and partially covered in all, cold as stones, in middle under top half of dog house just in the barn muck, in corner of open barn compartment that ducklings were left in when were bought as several cheap duckings a year ago. it just seems so bizarre that all dozen eggs were doing so wonderfully until i cooked by accident on heating pad in rush in middle of night to warm them back up.

Last edited:
Guy got from had squirrel hunting ect dog get loose and kill all the kinds of mallard type ducks had, and i think its what scared scovie hen off and why she was hardly seen around. the smell around, and of other part of barn where dead ducks were was bad.

So got pair set up in big pen with stump and log perches, a covered over moist ground like had nest/hide box in open back protected dark corner, another open top nest box crate full of grass and their feathers that they shed and i put all in with egg and surrounded for cover with stumps and logs, a med sized kiddy pool with perching stumps and logs around and water plants and critters in to forage for (I'm trying to breed up mosquito fish again, as rescued bunch from destroyed city pond and kept few for garden pond and they're invaluable). problem is i don't see the scovies eating hardly anything except billing the air seemingly eating at gnats flies and mosquitos.. possibly other ground bugs and stuff off and out of stumps and logs. also some worms a day I've collected from fams property and female mostly snaps up three or four before losing interest, male ate two or three once yesterday.
I am a little confused[which is pretty normal] but are you say these were feral Muscovy's that you have rescued? if so they may not be use to "feed" and it may take them sometime to understand what it is "food" You might try moistening the food some but don't put out much because it tends to mold quick in hot weather if wet.

What do your Muscovy girls nest in, I have had several clutches not hatch at all. and the two that did hatch were only 4 and 6 ducklings out of clutches of 20 plus eggs.

I guess i am thinking it is the nesting situation, but not sure
Mine nest in their houses, I use pine shaving on the floor and they make their nest out of it. and
welcome-byc.gif

Sorry for blocking up the thread, it was early for me and being new to ducks especially, i tried to put out everything..

the pair i have are from several domestic ducklings bought and put or turned loose in his barn. he hasn't answered my txt asking what he fed them, and there was nothing around but weeds n grass, goats and mud aside from dead ducks. no food water or dished even asid from corn for roller pigeons in cages. I was wondering about getting feral scovie eggs to put under this female (they are mostly white with light brown).. as have one egg they care for and watch over, but haven't set on or laid any more eggs in just under week I've had (male is pulling feathers and i was taking them out of spot he chose in depression in middle of coop and putting in nest box, and now he seems to be putting there too). they seemed healthy generally, just not too strong with broken and ratty feathers that get and stay soaked quick, and can't seem to fly or male walk well on one of his legs which is slightly discolored swollen and looks like dog may have had at. they seem to enjoy pool but not wanting to go in though do spoon/bill it all over selves and onto each other. they seem to be getting used to me and not scared but not friendly or mean either. they both now just stay at times as i go to, even letting me touch and pet at times after grabbed and showed wasn't going to try to eat.. lol. i can have my rough collie herd them back in pen if need be free range, but don't want to stress any more than have (before got, bringing home and trying to set up pen few times till got were they seem should enjoy (rotting moss covered bug heavy logs and stumps they seem to love hanging around billing at). i know nothing of scovies hardly, can't find much on except to treat as geese or mallard typ ducks, that know some about mallards and canadian geese, but these seem so differant to me (and quiet and hard to read body language)..

Last edited:
Sorry for blocking up the thread, it was early for me and being new to ducks especially, i tried to put out everything..

the pair i have are from several domestic ducklings bought and put or turned loose in his barn. he hasn't answered my txt asking what he fed them, and there was nothing around but weeds n grass, goats and mud aside from dead ducks. no food water or dished even asid from corn for roller pigeons in cages. I was wondering about getting feral scovie eggs to put under this female (they are mostly white with light brown).. as have one egg they care for and watch over, but haven't set on or laid any more eggs in just under week I've had (male is pulling feathers and i was taking them out of spot he chose in depression in middle of coop and putting in nest box, and now he seems to be putting there too). they seemed healthy generally, just not too strong with broken and ratty feathers that get and stay soaked quick, and can't seem to fly or male walk well on one of his legs which is slightly discolored swollen and looks like dog may have had at. they seem to enjoy pool but not wanting to go in though do spoon/bill it all over selves and onto each other. they seem to be getting used to me and not scared but not friendly or mean either. they both now just stay at times as i go to, even letting me touch and pet at times after grabbed and showed wasn't going to try to eat.. lol. i can have my rough collie herd them back in pen if need be free range, but don't want to stress any more than have (before got, bringing home and trying to set up pen few times till got were they seem should enjoy (rotting moss covered bug heavy logs and stumps they seem to love hanging around billing at). i know nothing of scovies hardly, can't find much on except to treat as geese or mallard typ ducks, that know some about mallards and canadian geese, but these seem so differant to me (and quiet and hard to read body language)..
What are you feeding them? my Scovy's and chickens and geese eat Purina Flock raiser mixed with whole oats and Homestead 7 way scratch. mostly FR though. I have been feeding fermented feed since last Oct. They all like it plus they get to forage during daylight hours. If you just got these ducks it may take a while before they settle enough to really get down to laying and then brooding Sounds like they had been kept in horrid conditions before you got them and your seeing it in the way they look . Muscovy's are nothing like Mallard derived ducks they are a breed unto themselves, I would give them time to get use to your place then start letting them out gradual. making sure they are eating good first because you want them to come home and if you feed them in the same place every day they will learn where home is and that food is waiting. They herd very easily but not sure they would appreciate a dog herding them. lol but they may get use to it if done carefully. I've never seen one of my drakes pull feathers out and make a nest. Sounds like they probably have wet feather which is caused by poor nutrition and not preening themselves. Make sure to give them a kiddy pool so they get into the habit of bathing they will begin to look better and after this years milt along with TLC they will be looking great again. You really need to check the leg of the drake though and make sure there isn't a wound or heat if there is then he needs to be treated or infection could set in. The drakes usually get too heavy to fly once adults but the females are very good fliers. But they can climb so make sure to cover the top of their pen to keep them in and safe from predators. Look at the drakes leg and post back what you think could be going on.

my rough collie usually really gentle when herding and just flanks and nudges/pokes with nose to small stock mostly, thou now when flocks hear me whistle and/or point to them and hand signal if collie there they pen themselves up and stay right in the doorways. if he isn't helping i get no respect except from my OEGB hens. I'm feeding generic pretty of same as you are much a whole multi grain feed with some natural layer mixed in which feeding to performing pigeons, mostly rhode island reds, new hamshire reds, production reds/crosses, bantam EE trio, three OEGB hens, and the scovy pair. it has at least about a dozen differant things in it..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom