Muscovy Ducks

Hello all, I am newb to the ducks and chickens but am learning fast. I was given 3 muscovy ducklings from my brother. I got them in the first week of June. Here is a picture when I first got them and one of them now.
THis is when I got them

This is them now... My brother couldn't think of names for them other than larry curly and moe. I want to change the names but can't think of any so they are the ducklings.

That's my 5 month old Pekin in the back. They stick with her all the time

Hello all, I am newb to the ducks and chickens but am learning fast. I was given 3 muscovy ducklings from my brother. I got them in the first week of June. Here is a picture when I first got them and one of them now.
THis is when I got them

This is them now... My brother couldn't think of names for them other than larry curly and moe. I want to change the names but can't think of any so they are the ducklings.

That's my 5 month old Pekin in the back. They stick with her all the time

They are adorable! welcome to Muscovies.

Well scovys seemingly losing some weight, male eating mostly scratch corn I've started putting out, along with layer for female. is spending most of time on eggs that all checked developing well. I planted patches of sod for them to graze on as heard they enjoy and they keep it trimmed down good, but have run out of most fun stuff moree natural to eat for now when they want to, though seem to be moulting some too.

Legs seem weak again on them, compared to how were getting to be pretty agile grippers and climbers. so wondering about what to do for extra niacin ect for them and baby ducklings? Got more baby duck ect feed, dumar brand un medicated, as that and purina flock raiser, were what recommended at store got to, dumar selling better was told.

I really like the one who hatched the eggs and she didn't know it wasn't hers
big_smile.png
from "kuntrygirl". Our family had 5 Muscovy ducks, 2 Males 3 Females, a couple or so months ago the other male flew away. One of the females hatched about 11/12 babies last Apr and I "borrowed" one who ended up staying with us so my daughter became her mama. After a few weeks we tried to see how she'd react if she was with her duck family again and her duck mama. We brought inside the aviary and she FREAKED OUT!!! The four ducks (5 - 1 that flew away which was her dad) kinda circled her and not really pecking her but were all talking to her at the same time so I sat on the floor and held her while she stuck her head on my armpit
hide.gif
(true story!), then the 1M and 3Fs were having a conference in the corner (really amusing watching all of them talking to each other) so after careful deliberation it was decided that the rest of them will stay away and then only her mom who actually remembered her was the following her around and preening her which was really touching BUT not for my ducky she just tried to run and hide from her even more! Anyways we tried it again when she was 3 months old and about the same size as the rest of them - same exact thing happened
smile.png
. She can get along dogs, cats, other birds and especially people BUT NOT OTHER DUCKS
smile.png
... People are amused when she bites the water coming from the faucet - like a dog and also when wags her tail - like a dog
lol.png
. If you were wearing a skirt or some kind of flowy material she'll be behind you chewing on it! and also long sleeves but not the edge of your shirt or short sleeves (??).

Legs seem weak again on them, compared to how were getting to be pretty agile grippers and climbers. so wondering about what to do for extra niacin ect for them and baby ducklings? Got more baby duck ect feed, dumar brand un medicated, as that and purina flock raiser, were what recommended at store got to, dumar selling better was told.
brewers yeast has niacin in it this is what I use. Just sprinkle it on top of feed. I make fermented feed for my flock so the BY just gets mixed into the dry before I pour the water/ACV over to mix. When the ducks brood for a long time and Scovys sit for so long it dos take a lot out of them,. Extra protein will also help, dried mealworms would be one way of giving them extra protein. especially through molt.

I really like the one who hatched the eggs and she didn't know it wasn't hers
big_smile.png
from "kuntrygirl". Our family had 5 Muscovy ducks, 2 Males 3 Females, a couple or so months ago the other male flew away. One of the females hatched about 11/12 babies last Apr and I "borrowed" one who ended up staying with us so my daughter became her mama. After a few weeks we tried to see how she'd react if she was with her duck family again and her duck mama. We brought inside the aviary and she FREAKED OUT!!! The four ducks (5 - 1 that flew away which was her dad) kinda circled her and not really pecking her but were all talking to her at the same time so I sat on the floor and held her while she stuck her head on my armpit
hide.gif
(true story!), then the 1M and 3Fs were having a conference in the corner (really amusing watching all of them talking to each other) so after careful deliberation it was decided that the rest of them will stay away and then only her mom who actually remembered her was the following her around and preening her which was really touching BUT not for my ducky she just tried to run and hide from her even more! Anyways we tried it again when she was 3 months old and about the same size as the rest of them - same exact thing happened
smile.png
. She can get along dogs, cats, other birds and especially people BUT NOT OTHER DUCKS
smile.png
... People are amused when she bites the water coming from the faucet - like a dog and also when wags her tail - like a dog
lol.png
. If you were wearing a skirt or some kind of flowy material she'll be behind you chewing on it! and also long sleeves but not the edge of your shirt or short sleeves (??).
welcome-byc.gif
I had a Muscovy duckling in the house from hatch, not my choice but mama didn't want him. He honestly thought he was one of the dogs, slept in a dog bed and ate and slept in the house till close to 3 months old. We went and got him 3 girls to grow up with since my other 2 drakes had claimed all the other Scovy girls, he made it fine out side and is now 2 yrs old, but still likes for us to come out and hang out with him, I am very happy to have had the experience we had with him, but I don't think I'd want a full time house duck.

Yea i just got 3 white french muscovy ducks they are 7 weeks old and they are adorable!!

Back
Top Bottom