Muscovy family adoption

LizaDoolittle

Hatching
Aug 3, 2016
I raise chickens. A pair of muscovies decided to start a family in my sister in law's flowerbed. The ducklings hatched this morning. She's in the city, and wants me to come get them. IDK anything about raising a duck family - I assume I should take the mom and dad as well as the babies, right? They live 2 hrs from me, but I'm afraid the parents will still fly off. I have multiple mini-coops and runs, not sure what they would prefer or if I should house them all together. My tentative plan was to put mom and babies in a coop with run, and put dad in coop with run next to them, but the "run" is quite small. I have 4x8 fence panels of chicken wire that we often use to make a run for juvenile chicks, I could put them up and put fencing over the top as well. Will they climb up into a coop? One of the coops I'm considering is raised and has a hole in the floor with steps that my bantams had been using, but I don't even know how big these things are.

Any advice welcome!

I would take them all but keep Moma and babies seperate from Daddy I have ducks but not Muscovites

I raise chickens. A pair of muscovies decided to start a family in my sister in law's flowerbed. The ducklings hatched this morning. She's in the city, and wants me to come get them. IDK anything about raising a duck family - I assume I should take the mom and dad as well as the babies, right? They live 2 hrs from me, but I'm afraid the parents will still fly off. I have multiple mini-coops and runs, not sure what they would prefer or if I should house them all together. My tentative plan was to put mom and babies in a coop with run, and put dad in coop with run next to them, but the "run" is quite small. I have 4x8 fence panels of chicken wire that we often use to make a run for juvenile chicks, I could put them up and put fencing over the top as well. Will they climb up into a coop? One of the coops I'm considering is raised and has a hole in the floor with steps that my bantams had been using, but I don't even know how big these things are.

Any advice welcome!
Why a bad idea? I have Muscovy and they are wonderful ducks, laid back easy to keep although they do fly but clipping one wing will keep them home. I agree though if you take them keep mom and babies separate till ducklings are at least 3 weeks old so they can better keep away from dad and other poultry [being picked on when tiny is always something best kept to minimum] When i have mom and ducklings separated from the rest it's just a make shift fenced area with secure house nothing big or fancy. You may have to make the ramp wider and put something on top to give them traction. My temp run is usually 5X 8so yours would be fine for mom and ducklings.

@LizaDoolittle Welcome to BYC.

Last edited:
I'm just worried that wild ducks that haven't been around other fowl for a while might feel threatened when suddenly caged and put near nearly 30 juvenile chickens. I was also worried that they would not handle the transition well. My husband went and got them this morning, and they did fine during the 2 hour ride - quiet and still. We put them in pens facing each other, so the dad could see his mate and babies. They are in a protected corner in our fenced lot, so I plan to let the dad out in a day or so, so he can roost in trees over mama's pen - want him to get used to where they are, in hopes he won't run off. They can see the chickens, but there are fences between them, so hopefully, they will get used to each other. Plan to make a bigger pen this weekend, and give the dad a pool - he looks like he hasn't had a bath in months :p Not really sure what to feed them - got to look that up - but sister in law sent oats and chick starter :/ Husband gave them some halved cucumbers from garden and the babies tore into them! They are so quiet - I've heard mom peep a little, and that's it.

Thanks for all the advice!

I'm just worried that wild ducks that haven't been around other fowl for a while might feel threatened when suddenly caged and put near nearly 30 juvenile chickens. I was also worried that they would not handle the transition well. My husband went and got them this morning, and they did fine during the 2 hour ride - quiet and still. We put them in pens facing each other, so the dad could see his mate and babies. They are in a protected corner in our fenced lot, so I plan to let the dad out in a day or so, so he can roost in trees over mama's pen - want him to get used to where they are, in hopes he won't run off. They can see the chickens, but there are fences between them, so hopefully, they will get used to each other. Plan to make a bigger pen this weekend, and give the dad a pool - he looks like he hasn't had a bath in months :p Not really sure what to feed them - got to look that up - but sister in law sent oats and chick starter :/ Husband gave them some halved cucumbers from garden and the babies tore into them! They are so quiet - I've heard mom peep a little, and that's it.

Thanks for all the advice!
Please post pics when you can. They are very quiet ducks but I sure wouldn't let dad roost in a tree over night teach him where food and water is inside a pen so you can lock him up at night. Flying preds like large owls and raccoons will get him. They are easily taught by repetition what you want them to do they herd easy as long as you walk behind them slowly you can open your arms wide or use a pole of some kind but they learn fast. My drake knows his name. How many ducklings came with the pair?They'll eat chicken feed and they love to forage eating all kinds of bugs, mice, snakes . They will need a bucket deep enough to dunk their heads but be careful what you give to mom because ducklings can drown if they can't get out of something. Mine like shredded romaine lettuce too.

Last edited:
If you want a feed to really boost their nutrition, I like New Country Organic layer pellets without soy or corn. I add some water to it to moisten it up.

Back
Top Bottom