muscovy female with pale flesh on face

I4Him

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 21, 2011
Rothbury
My muscovy female has lost most of the color out of her beautiful red flesh on her face. She also now squeaks instead of her usual noises. She is still laying and eating/drinking. Anyone have any ideas what could have caused this?

The only time i remember oone of my females having a pale face was after my dog murdered her while she was protecting her nest.
hit.gif
I miss Trudy
hit.gif

I remember a discussion with lovesduckies about her muscovies- she raised them inside the house- and until they went outside- they had very pale under developed caruncles. Once outside in getting more sunlight they quickly turned very red and grew to a more normal proportion. It does seem that it can be effected by sunlight- but also if you think about landfowl and how the comb will brighten up when they are laying- it could be a sign that she is coming towards the end of her laying cycle- but i have never heard of that in muscovies. I know not everyone can afford to rush a duck to a vet- but it may be interesting to have some blood work done and see if there is something going on.

If she is also ruffling her feathers and pulling her neck down.... she's going broody. Mine do that up to a full week or more before they start sitting steadily. Does she have a clutch? Even when I've taken their eggs away, mine go broody for a bit. I have one who was sitting of only two eggs which I took today. She just keeps moving her nest site & laying until I find it and take them.

I agree with what Keeper said, she might be going broody. I keep a bag of dry dog food just for the broody ducks, Muscovies are prone to anemia and broody hens don't get as much nutrition as usual when they're sitting on eggs. the dry dog food helps with the anemia (iron & other goodies) and it will improve the color in their face.

If they've never had it and you want to try it, buy the small bites or puppy food, it's easier for them to grab and get used to. Mine don't care anymore, they got used to stealing the dogs big chunks
roll.png

Quote:
Interesting advice. I'll try the dog food(or even cat's) trick once my hens go broody. Thanks.
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

I did just find a small clutch. She is just under a year old. I have the ducks she is with on Musuri breeder's ration but I don't want her hatching her own eggs as she is not with a muscovy male and the ducklings would be .... interesting. She is a rescue duck we took in. I'm afraid since spring has come she is having a hard time getting along with any of my other ducks. She is very aggressive and fights with my runners and gets picked on by my Australian spotted. Having a hard time finding her a spot. Could it be stress causing the color change?

What about the high-pitched squeaking noises she is making? Has anyone ever had that?

We have no vets in our area that will see poultry. The nearest vet that will is over a hour away.

Thanks for the information!
Cindy

The high pitched "squeak! squeak!" is a broody thing. Does she do it when she's walking towards you or towards the other ducks? Mine squeak at me when they come off their nest to get food & treats and they do it to other ducks too if they bother them and they will get agressive and attack them.

Does she look a little ruffled up when she's running around squeaking?

She does squeak when she is coming at me and she does ruffle up. She must be broody. Thanks! I just wanted to make sure nothing serious was wrong.

Back
Top Bottom