Muscovy hen not walking. **UPDATE**

jdywntr

Songster
10 Years
Oct 31, 2009
Somerville, AL
I know there are tons of posts about this but I can't find one with actual answers.

Situation:
Last night, about 7 pm I found my muscovy hen just laying down unable to walk. Earlier, she had been perfectly fine, acting herself. I thought maybe the drake had been trying to mate her too much so I seperated him overnight. I gave her some vitamins, and set her up with food and water within reach. This morning, she had not moved at all from the spot the I put her. I checked her to see if anything was swollen, obviously broken etc. There are no visible injuries. I let the drake out of the run and again left her with food and water. I just got home and she looks worse. She still hasn't moved at all, her eyes are not bright. I don't think she ate.

Suggestions?

Of course this has to happen now. I am moving in 2 weeks and trying to sell the birds.
he.gif

Last edited:
I don't think it could be botulism. I've looked around and don't see anything. The remaining ducklings usually hang out with her and they and the drake are fine.
She hasn't started laying again since the babies. I did find her in the chicken's nestbox 2 nights ago though. I felt her abdomen and it feels normal.

I don't think it could be botulism. I've looked around and don't see anything. The remaining ducklings usually hang out with her and they and the drake are fine.
She hasn't started laying again since the babies. I did find her in the chicken's nestbox 2 nights ago though. I felt her abdomen and it feels normal.
Well then we'll rule out botulism and if she hasn't laid yet wonder if she could have an egg that hasn't dropped down yet and could be causing pressure on the nerves and causing lameness. Have you tried giving her a warm soak? will she not even stand up?

She won't stand. I thought she would have died overnight but she is still alive. She seems to be kind of gasping for air. There is nothing in her throat. Yesterday morning when startled she would kind of pull herself away with her wings. If felt her pelvis and nothing seems broken, I don't feel an egg. It happened so quickly, within just a few hours. ?????????????

Last edited:
She won't stand. I thought she would have died overnight but she is still alive. She seems to be kind of gasping for air. There is nothing in her throat. Yesterday morning when startled she would kind of pull herself away with her wings. If felt her pelvis and nothing seems broken, I don't feel an egg. It happened so quickly, within just a few hours. ?????????????
It's so hard to know, things could have been going down hill for a while they can hide sickness and injuries so well. Could she have jump down from something and injured herself? and it's internal? Gasping makes me think maybe ruptured air sac? I don't know just so sorry this is going on.Can you listen to her chest for gurgling?

She was in the chickens nestbox, it is about 1.5-2 ft off the ground. I put her in some water and she did use her legs a few times but mostly just floated there. I think it is something internal just from the way she is acting and the lack of obvious injuries.
I don't want her to suffer but don't know if I have given her enough time to recover before making the decision to cull.

I just went through something similar which turned out to be egg yolk peritonitis. My situation did not end well. I hope yours has a better outcome. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom