She's a character. She just stands like that instead of running away. My muscovies are all daft ducks. That's why we love them. Three ducks went into the coop on time at dusk and fourth decided it was a grand time to go and get an undisturbed bath in the kiddie pool. I just has to wait until she was ready to get her safely inside. Muscovies are just like that!!
She really has a mind of her own. I'm desperate to get her a buddy that she can speak the same "language" with but it's been hard to find them where I live.

I want Muscovies so I can watch them do this.
Besides the penguining they are just really fantastic creatures. There were a bunch of feral ones at my old park and they were so friendly and social and beautiful! They're honestly more like dogs where the domestic duck has more of a cat like tendency, I think at least.

Besides the penguining they are just really fantastic creatures. There were a bunch of feral ones at my old park and they were so friendly and social and beautiful! They're honestly more like dogs where the domestic duck has more of a cat like tendency, I think at least.
One of my muscovies, his name is Crest, knows his name like a dog. The duck in my profile pic is Crest :love

She really has a mind of her own. I'm desperate to get her a buddy that she can speak the same "language" with but it's been hard to find them where I live.
She can be friends with your other ducks. I have three Muscovies and a male crested Pekin in one flock. The Pekin doesn't speak the same language but he chatters away all day and the Muscovies know when he is alarmed and they always ago off in threes together. He and one of the Muscovies get on really well. The other two tolerate him -- but that is because he asserts his higher place in the Pecking order, not because they don't understand each other. I often sneak out at night and find all 4 ducks sleep right next to each other in my coup which is large for 4 ducks. During the day they free range together: the Muscovies do a lot of parading up and down in a line flapping their wings. He joins in -- he sometimes flaps his wings but he always runs up and down in the line with them.

Attachments

• 20211012_161704.jpg
    20211012_161704.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 2
  • 20211012_101725.jpg
    20211012_101725.jpg
    754.4 KB · Views: 2
She can be friends with your other ducks. I have three Muscovies and a male crested Pekin in one flock. The Pekin doesn't speak the same language but he chatters away all day and the Muscovies know when he is alarmed and they always ago off in threes together. He and one of the Muscovies get on really well. The other two tolerate him -- but that is because he asserts his higher place in the Pecking order, not because they don't understand each other. I often sneak out at night and find all 4 ducks sleep right next to each other in my coup which is large for 4 ducks. During the day they free range together: the Muscovies do a lot of parading up and down in a line flapping their wings. He joins in -- he sometimes flaps his wings but he always runs up and down in the line with them.
Oh, she and my Ancona love each other. They were raised together and are super attached. I don't think she is "lonely" but she might benefit from another her species. At this point I "talk" to her in her language and I think she really appreciates it. I'd just like her to have the experience of another.

They are all rescued ducks. The crested Pekin and another were attacked as small ducklings by a raccoon. He survived with an injured bill the other died. My smallest and most recent addition became waterlogged and nearly drowned on a retention pond: mother duck was really inexperienced and lost very many of her ducklings this year. The two larger muscovies got left behind at 1 day old: the black and white one was till hatching when mother and the rest departed; the chocolate muscovy was found running round alone in a parking lot in a storm in danger of being washed down a drain with no other ducks anywhere to be found.

They are all rescued ducks. The crested Pekin and another were attacked as small ducklings by a raccoon. He survived with an injured bill the other died. My smallest and most recent addition became waterlogged and nearly drowned on a retention pond: mother duck was really inexperienced and lost very many of her ducklings this year. The two larger muscovies got left behind at 1 day old: the black and white one was till hatching when mother and the rest departed; the chocolate muscovy was found running round alone in a parking lot in a storm in danger of being washed down a drain with no other ducks anywhere to be found.
Goodness! That's a lot of loss and emotion. My Muscovy was a rescue. We found her alone under a car in a parking lot at the beginning of the pandemic. None of the animal shelters had space and by the time they did, we had fallen in love with her.

Back
Top Bottom