Muscovy injured ankle?

lassira

Chirping
Sep 17, 2013
Salem, or
I just took in a duck that was dumped at a lake with a clipped wing. I think because he couldn't get away properly he might have tangled his foot somehow. I don't see anything broken and it all moves ok but he won't put weight on his foot and hobbles around pretty bad. Is there anything I can do to help him? Will rest be enough? I am not sure splinting it would work since it is his ankle. We have him separated and relaxing to see if that will help at least. He was being chased by the geese so he couldn't get rest.

Take a look to see if there are lumps on the foot (bumbles). If that's the case, most of the time you can treat it by simply giving him time in a tub (where he can float and take weight off the leg, which is good). That will soften the skin a little. Then apply 2 or 3 drops of clear (clear, clear, clear not brown) iodine on the lump. Do not apply any more iodine for 5 or 6 days. A scab-like spot should form. Soak the foot again and see if it pulls off with very gentle pressure. If not, retreat with clear iodine, wait again, and try again. This has worked for a number of people.

It could just be a sprain. That will take several days to a few weeks to heal, and you can help by putting a dab of T-Relief ointment on the leg, and by letting him float in lukewarm water. I don't know how he is being handled, but if he's patient, you could stand him in a very small bucket of Epsom salt solution. Don't let him drink it, it's a laxative.

Beautiful guy!

I would also get a stool sample and send it to the vet to check for parasites.

I'm fairly familiar with bumble and his feet seem fairly clear. I'll look into the t-relief though. The checking for parasites is a good idea too.

Thanks!

I'm fairly familiar with bumble and his feet seem fairly clear. I'll look into the t-relief though. The checking for parasites is a good idea too.

Thanks!

Okay, great, I never know who knows what about what....and then I find out, and then sometimes I forget anyway.
hide.gif

And thanks so much for taking him in!

Back
Top Bottom