Muscovy (JM Hatchery) Grow Out Journal

When ever we get chicks/duck via the mail/UPS we give them Pedialyte to drink. It has all the fluid and electrolytes (minerals) that will help to rehydrate them safely.

Being deprived of water they have become dehydrated. Dehydration causes their bodies to become out of balance. With dehydration, more water/nutrients are moving out of their bodies than they're taking in. When their bodies lose too much water/nutrients it can no longer function efficiently.

Plain water actually dilutes their system of these vital nutrients which will lead to the described symptoms and eventually death.

Weekly Weigh-In:

Average 1.79
High 1.85
Low 1.65

Moved them outside to a 8'x'4' grow out pen and I am no longer providing heat.
They are starting to get some white feathering around the eyes.

17846_img_0059.jpg

That's amazing how fast they grow..... can't wait for a few more weeks. My mix match from Ideal should be processed this week... so I'm really watching this thread to see the difference between the breeds.

Great! They shipped on Thursday and arrived on Friday by noon. They did not panic
to get out of the box like the 1st batch so I suspect the day in shipping makes a
difference. They drank so little that I just left the waterers in with them and had zero
losses.

They are sharing my baby brooder with a few other "friends" for now. Look in the
back right corner, the mallards like to hide.
smile.png

17846_img_0064.jpg

(edited for spelling)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom