Muscovy keepers share your pics!

Thats great kathy!

i think i do but i haven't had a name for them so i called them saddle back muscovies because they kinda have the same pattern of saddle back geese but like its not pied , i'll find a pick

oh! also i think my blue fawn girls may actually be splash, because they were chocolate up to this summer and they started gaining a blue color

Last edited:
Congratulations Kathy!

And, I can't wait to see pics Buck. After a few generations on mine the splash is getting smaller, and I want to see if there is a specific color combination which would produce a larger splash pattern.

I cannot be the only person who looks at that avatar picture, and then at the announcement of ducks emerging, and has a vivid mental image of little green ducklings with fangs and little bat wings. I'm just hoping that when we finally get to see the pictures, That they really ARE green with batwings cuz then I'd want some.

Lol, I just think Kathy's crazy, but the good kind if crazy :D

Okay pics of my male, didn't get the female but I found some pics of one of my chocolate girls that have been changing blue

this is one of the chocolate girls in early September

This is the white boy

And this is under his wings

Last edited:
I can definitely see why you call them saddle back. Great colors. I don't see the distinctive black splashes I was hoping for, but I still LOVE the colors. Funny enough, that same mottled color is pretty normal in most of the splashes, so I do wonder if it isn't related. Yours look like blue and blue fawn (calico variant). The same gene which was giving me calico carried over into the splash so I can see the correlation. I don't know if you can see that the hen in my photo is various shades of peach, blue, and white. She also has self blue, so the colors are lighter. But, the splash did start out as those large patches of unevenly colored feathers and through the generations has watered down to the tiny little black flecks and I hate that they've gotten so small as to be nearly invisible. She still has some of the larger splashes on her wings, and some stray black feathers on the neck... but I'd like to figure out how to get ALL of the splashes the size of the ones on the wings. I wonder if I should just breed them back to some regular "Saddle back" pattern calico (stealing your term there) and see what comes of it.

Thanks so much for sharing those photos!

ok, ok... everyone is going to get sick of me. However, after zooming in on Bucks pictures a dozen times and drooling over the colors (I love weird colors).... I definitely DO see the bi-color feathers. Yes, indeed. That's exactly how my splash started. So, that leads to QUESTIONS. Do all of the bi-color have blue in the genetics? Have you noticed any difference between those with a single gene for blue vs. those which are silver? And, are any of your birds homozygous white or do they carry homozygous white?

I understand if you don't have answers, because I'm sure you never expected some crazy lady to be asking weird questions about your ducks.

Oh my gosh I think your my new best friend!! Nobody talks that much about muscovy genetics instead of me!!!! Oh my gosh!! Okay see the color that the girl is and her sister were chocolate derived with probably a lilac or pastel blue down the line because her babies have all been lilac or blue. And white is dominant of all genes so it codons yes with another color, so that male I shows you his mom was heterozygous white because of her black crown and small black patches under her wings , she may have been pied though since she had brown eyes. Now see the females with the chocolate and blue I really have no idea wha their parents were because I didn't breed anybody to get that color. I ordered her from country hatchery as a wee baby, so if you elegant to talk more about genetics I would love to have a conversation with you about it!!! Since nobody ever talks to me about it. PM me if you just want to talk about different colors and patterns .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom