Muscovy keepers share your pics!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by keeperofthehearth, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

That is a bit off on the ratio, I have 4 drakes and 12 duck but breaking it down 1 drake has 5 ducks that's my oldest ones 6-9yrs old then my next drake has 3 ducks they are 2 yrs old then my 1 yr old drake has 2 ducks and my 14 week old drake has 2 ducks and they know who belong to who. And when mating is at it craziest then some of those girls mate with the other drakes. All but my oldest group they stay to themselves. Looks like you have plenty of room with such a nice pond, so why not just get more girls.

Very nice duck shack.. look forward to seeing their winter one.
    [​IMG]
    The best ratio is 3-5 ducks per drake but it can work with less if there is plenty of room so everyone can keep a wide berth from each other.
    [​IMG]beautiful ducks too what a nice Wedding gift.

2. chickarooo

chickarooo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2013
    Thanks they are such cuties they think I'm there mummy!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡

3. Miss Lydia

I don't know how I missed these pics but they are beautiful babies all of them. lovely colors. Congrats!!

4. gaitngirl

gaitngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm in the same boat with drakes:ducks. My 1 hatch this year yielded 8 boys and 4 girls (that I kept - 5 others went to a fellow BYCer). I sold one drakelet last week. I want to keep at least 2 of the 4 girls. The boys are so funny I hate for them to go but it has to be. Their coloring and patterns are beautiful - either pied black and whites, or pied chocolates. I have one that may end up grey/silver and white. I was underwhelmed by the responses to the ads I places. I don't want to have these boys processed but I may end up doing that . . .

5. Frank Phinster

Frank Phinster Chillin' With My Peeps

Now that I am back from vacation and done with my term paper, it is finally time to show some presence here again:

[​IMG]

Selma and Maude on the roof - it took them quite a while to figure out how to get up there. And still they don't perch often.

[​IMG]

Macbeth is moulting. You can see that white patches have started to form on his shoulders which are still expanding.
    Is that just some kind of eclipse plumage or is it normal for a muscovy to change colour after over a year?

[​IMG]

The "fuzzball" still shows some signs from her troubled past - her carucles are very flat and she has still more feathers on her face than her sisters and is a littler smaller than them.

[​IMG]

Runner drake Alfred in his eclipse plumage.

6. chickarooo

chickarooo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2013
    Thanks they are interesting colors does anyone know what color they are?

7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Nice ducks! and to changing colours, yep ime they do, i had a black drake turn chocolate... i was stunned lol

8. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Same boat here, i had 8 birds hatch this year, obtained only 2 ducks. I have sold one drake, i still have the rest lol for now they are part of sub flocks(within the big flock) BUT i am unsure... i want to get rid of at least one more, i hate putting up ads it's like an invite for the stupid and these days i have low tolerance. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  9. kisses10

kisses10 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hello everyone, these are my girls, kisses is in the front and Hershey is in the back........ just thought id show y'all my beautiful girls :)

10. Miss Lydia

They sure are pretty, I love the faces on Muscovy ducks they are so feminine and sweet. They look to be about the same age as my 2 from this year. I'll have to take pics today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by