Muscovy keepers share your pics!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by keeperofthehearth, Feb 8, 2009.

1. lesander

lesander Out Of The Brooder

Went out to clip the girls wings......picked the right day apparently. They discovered they could actually fly, I think they were able to for a couple days just didn't realize they could :)
    They were a little bit later in the season, I've heard a couple [​IMG] people at the feed store talk about adding a small light in their enclosure to extend the "daylight" might make them start laying sooner, anyone had any success with this or have heard of it?

2. Fat Man

Fat Man Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    This is done with chickens. I have a low wattage compact florescent fixture on a timer in my coop. It comes on at 4:00 am and goes of around 10:00 am.

1 person likes this.
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Just my opinion with Muscovys' being seasonal layers anyway why rush it, they need this time to mature and that is one reason why most of the time ducks born this year don't lay till next, I think you'll have fewer laying problems if you let them go and let nature be in control. I don't put lights in my chickens coop either, I feel they need time to rest their bodies, I hope to keep mine around as long as possible.

1 person likes this.
  4. TommyDaDelaware

TommyDaDelaware Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Central WI.
    Just a little Myrtle update for you guys... Dad said she was taking a bath yesterday.. So that was a good thing.. No eggs hatching, but as long as she lives, I think I can deal with the no hatch part!! Perhaps she just had a swift blow to the head, because she was behaving similar to my cat when he got rolled under a car (off balanced, tipsy, rolling etc), and he lived. he actually lived to be 4, when he got FeLv (Feline Leukemia Virus). But I think if she's made it a week, she should be ok.. at least that's what I hope.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

I hope so sounds like she is making a recovery. Thanks for update..

6. fallenangel79

fallenangel79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2013
    Ohio
    so happy she is feeling better :)

7. nikkers390

nikkers390 Chillin' With My Peeps

My Muscovies are laying eggs at 6 mos. old they are also getting to be excellent flyers. It's time to clip wings if I can catch them. Luckily we live by a dead end dirt road with little traffic. Maybe clipping Myrtle's wings will keep her closer to home? [​IMG]

8. zach N houdan

zach N houdan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    I may possibly be going down to Delmarva I march but I would want them sold sooner?

9. elsfieldchickens

elsfieldchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

X2

10. TommyDaDelaware

TommyDaDelaware Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Central WI.
    they are clipped.. We have 25 acres of land for her to waddle about in, and for some odd reason she waddled into the road...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by