Muscovy keepers share your pics!

Male muscovys only hiss females make a chirp sound thats how we tell males from females.hope that helps you :thumbsup

So you mean the quiet one is the male and the noisy one is a female? I never heard a hiss. :(

Females hiss too, as well as trill, coo and honk/quack! i had a female who almost made no other noise than hiss.. definitely a girl and she was capable of more but preferred hissing lol With scovies it's all size...

Here a young pair last year.. drake in behind, duck in front. Same clutch btw.

Last edited:
Females hiss too, as well as trill, coo and honk/quack! i had a female who almost made no other noise than hiss.. definitely a girl and she was capable of more but preferred hissing lol With scovies it's all size...
Here a young pair last year.. drake in behind, duck in front. Same clutch btw.
So can you determine the gender of my 2 white Muscovy ducklings?
By the way, your pair is good , I wish color brown,gray and blue muscovy ducks are common here in the Philippines :( white Muscovy ducks are very plenty here.

our imprented muscovys,we just call them the babies.when ever we are outside they are right on our heels,we own many ducks,but these two have a special place in our hearts,we cant help but smile when they come runnin or flyin......to greet us
What an adorable happy looking couple.

Hello everyone! It was only at the beginning of this year that I let my Muscovy fixation iwn me over. I purchased a single Muscovy hen and she has been my absolute favorite duck in the flock. She's got loads of personality!

The problem is that the male Muscovy duckling I was raising up died early on from a hawk attack (my dogs didn't let him get away unscathed apparently but the duckling died from the injuries/shock). Now I'm trying to find someone in my area who is selling Muscovy hatching eggs.

I live in Harlingen, Texas. No one locally sells Muscovy ducks, let alone their hatching eggs. We have loads of wild Muscovy ducks due to the area being so close to Mexico and it being the perfect conditions for them, but apparently people here just don't see the appeal. I happen to love them, though.

Short of stealing some wild Muscovy eggs (I swear I don't plan on stealing eggs, it was a joke), I have no good leads. Anyone have any ideas?

Note: I wasn't home when the hawk attacked. I just know that a hawk was there because of the dead duckling and the hawk feathers my dog had in her mouth. I don't train or teach my dogs to attack them, but my main flock protector is a good girl and is really protective of all my birds. Just making that clear. Last time I told someone, they really tore into me about how I was breaking laws for teaching my dogs to kill hawks. Some people just love to jump the gun, apparently.

Last edited:
Shoot I would love my dogs to learn to attack hawks , but never the less they would probably not get the hawk but the duck instead
1f614.png
anyway I'm so sorry about what happened to your baby boy :( it's always hard when a baby dies, how big was he when he was attacked by a hawk? I keep my muscovies inside till a month then in the garage till I think there big enough to go to the pen outside , and I let them out when there flight feathers are fully formed , to be sure they can escape predators, but my babies ie already had this year developed there flight feathers early and there still kinda small so there still in the pen

So make sure there big enough, males probably 7 to 12 pounds ( the average) before you let them out, if there even kinda small a hawk might get them

Last edited:
Hey my brother is getting some ducks sice he has geese, that are as mean as he double hockey sticks, anyway I told him he can't get muscovys because I have muscovies and I he got them it would be confusing whose babies are whose. So I told him to get Ancona's and black or blue Swedish because Ancona's come in different patterns , and Swedish ducks are predator alerters, we already have rouens which are mine but they're all males and he has a little black mallard fly in , we think it's a mallard Cayuga mix, but Cayuga twice removed because it can fly but not well like a mallard. So anyway they mated and I'm incubating there eggs for him . But now that he's getting new ones he keeps changing his mind about what kind , he changed from pekin and cayuga to magpies and welsh harquleins, thb he wanted to get what I wanted junto and know he wants to get golden star hybrids and 1 black Swedish and I'm like :he make up your mind. So what would y'all suggest? Also if you want some rare show buff geese he has some , an he's selling the babies, they are like really rare they're like buff but a creamy but color and the daddy has blue blue eyes. He's gotten offers from people but he's not sure, he wants to give them to people he knows he can trust to give them a happy life so if y'all want some rare buff goose babies PM buff goose guy.

Also jut to tell anyone who doesn't know this I'm a freshmen in High school and I already know this much about ducks, and I've been raising them since 2nd grade
1f60e.png
swag

Hello everyone! It was only at the beginning of this year that I let my Muscovy fixation iwn me over. I purchased a single Muscovy hen and she has been my absolute favorite duck in the flock. She's got loads of personality!

The problem is that the male Muscovy duckling I was raising up died early on from a hawk attack (my dogs didn't let him get away unscathed apparently but the duckling died from the injuries/shock). Now I'm trying to find someone in my area who is selling Muscovy hatching eggs.

I live in Harlingen, Texas. No one locally sells Muscovy ducks, let alone their hatching eggs. We have loads of wild Muscovy ducks due to the area being so close to Mexico and it being the perfect conditions for them, but apparently people here just don't see the appeal. I happen to love them, though.

Short of stealing some wild Muscovy eggs (I swear I don't plan on stealing eggs, it was a joke), I have no good leads. Anyone have any ideas?

Note: I wasn't home when the hawk attacked. I just know that a hawk was there because of the dead duckling and the hawk feathers my dog had in her mouth. I don't train or teach my dogs to attack them, but my main flock protector is a good girl and is really protective of all my birds. Just making that clear. Last time I told someone, they really tore into me about how I was breaking laws for teaching my dogs to kill hawks. Some people just love to jump the gun, apparently.
Pretty sure we have some Scovy Texans here on this thread, hopefully someone can help you out.

Shoot I would love my dogs to learn to attack hawks , but never the less they would probably not get the hawk but the duck instead
1f614.png
anyway I'm so sorry about what happened to your baby boy :( it's always hard when a baby dies, how big was he when he was attacked by a hawk? I keep my muscovies inside till a month then in the garage till I think there big enough to go to the pen outside , and I let them out when there flight feathers are fully formed , to be sure they can escape predators, but my babies ie already had this year developed there flight feathers early and there still kinda small so there still in the pen

So make sure there big enough, males probably 7 to 12 pounds ( the average) before you let them out, if there even kinda small a hawk might get them

The duckling wasn't much of a duckling when he was nearly snatched up. He was already pretty big, but the hawks around here are huge.

I've never had a broody duck or hen hatch eggs, but I have a feeling that would be the ideal way raise ducklings. My Cayuga hen just went broody along with my mix game hen. Between the pair of them, I think they can hatch quite a few little Muscovy ducklings. My Cayuga doesn't like our Indian Runner drake, so I am pretty sure her eggs aren't fertilized anyway.

The dogs are great. They chase off blackbirds and bark at hawks. One of my mutt rat terriers catches mourning doves. That skill is not so great, but it still means she is agile enough to also catch rats, mice and other pests. Of course, I had to teach her not to eat the quail, but she knows not to if they get loose now.

Back
Top Bottom