Muscovy keepers share your pics!

Well, I was hoping my scovies would warm up to me by now. They've only been here since Tuesday evening and I've had them penned, but I'm still not confident enough that they won't take off if I let them out to wander with the rest of the flock. I've tried just sitting quietly in there (with and without peas, cracked corn, etc.). They keep their distance and don't seem to get excited over food or treats like the other ducks. They've had a few minor altercations through the fence with the Pekins, and the hens have hissed at the Rouens any time they come around to investigate. They are still laying great.
I was hoping to not have to put them (or myself!) through wing clippings . . .
If there are altercations between them and other flock members it might be best to wing clip or they may just decide they aren't wanted and move on. It takes awhile for Scvy's to learn to trust but I have found dried meal worms works about as good as anything

Last edited:
First Scovie nest is hatching! She's got fluffy ducky butts swarming her!
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

Ok, so my Scovie mix Pekin is hatching. First it's 5 days early. Next it's hatching from the bottoms (pointy) end of the shell. Then it's trying to come out and it's not ready it still has yolk that its trying to suck up, not a lot but its there. So fingers crossed it makes it. But on the bright side I found my Scovie nest of ten eggs.

Ok, so my Scovie mix Pekin is hatching. First it's 5 days early. Next it's hatching from the bottoms (pointy) end of the shell. Then it's trying to come out and it's not ready it still has yolk that its trying to suck up, not a lot but its there. So fingers crossed it makes it. But on the bright side I found my Scovie nest of ten eggs.
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Goatlady: really digging the ripple and the chocolate roo is saaaaaaweeeeet too!

I did try to get pics to share but ma hissed and ducklings dove under.
With all the prowling farm cats likely a good thing. Will try again tommorow.

Thank you EC and ML. As they are older than my other ducks, I figured it might take them a bit longer than the young ones to get used to new digs (I hoped not too much longer. The ducks that came from RaZ and the other 2 from Craigslist settled right in). I just really hate keeping them confined - I would rather have them free-ranging. But they seem to be doing okay in confinement. I took them peas today - they just looked at them when I gave them to them. They waited until I left the area to eat them. They have grazed their pen area down in less than a week - I may just have to try to find a way to extend their area so they have more room to forage . . .

Back
Top Bottom