Muscovy keepers share your pics!

Havent posted in here in awhile so figured I would show a few pics of my scovies seeing all yalls :)

Gosh.... Those sure are beautiful!!
droolin.gif

I asked this in a separate thread a couple days ago, and got no response. So I'm try to ask here...

should his sleeping quarters have a grate on the bottom? I am worried about hurting his feet, but every morning, he is sooo nasty cause he poops and lays right in it. I fill up his pool every morning so he can bathe and he keeps out of the poo pretty well during the day. He has a 2 ft by 4 ft box he sleeps in, (till I build his house outside) and he always sleeps and poos in the same corner.

Also, when do I change him to bigger pieces of food? He is a little over a month old and still working on the bag of starter I bought, but it seems like the crumbles are too small now? He eats it but he kinda coughs while eating it until he gets a drink, I do have a little bucket of water in there and don't feed him without his drink.

Does grass have some nutrient he needs? When I let him out in the yard, I watch him due to the neighborhood dogs, and as soon as he gets the chance, he eats a lot of grass and other plants from the lawn. DH weed whacked the other day and Duckie had a virtual buffet chowing down on all the clippings on the driveway lol. Is it something they normally munch on, or is it just because its easier for him to eat than the crumbles?

Thanks.

This is Quacker. She's my companion duck. She is 3 months old and lives with me and my family in the city. She lives indoors and is very imprinted. She loves being hand-fed and enjoys chasing live prey like bugs and fish.

I asked this in a separate thread a couple days ago, and got no response. So I'm try to ask here...

should his sleeping quarters have a grate on the bottom? I am worried about hurting his feet, but every morning, he is sooo nasty cause he poops and lays right in it. I fill up his pool every morning so he can bathe and he keeps out of the poo pretty well during the day. He has a 2 ft by 4 ft box he sleeps in, (till I build his house outside) and he always sleeps and poos in the same corner.

Also, when do I change him to bigger pieces of food? He is a little over a month old and still working on the bag of starter I bought, but it seems like the crumbles are too small now? He eats it but he kinda coughs while eating it until he gets a drink, I do have a little bucket of water in there and don't feed him without his drink.

Does grass have some nutrient he needs? When I let him out in the yard, I watch him due to the neighborhood dogs, and as soon as he gets the chance, he eats a lot of grass and other plants from the lawn. DH weed whacked the other day and Duckie had a virtual buffet chowing down on all the clippings on the driveway lol. Is it something they normally munch on, or is it just because its easier for him to eat than the crumbles?

Thanks.
Hi and welcome.
Personally I do not use a grate on the bottom of housing as they can snag a nail and rip it out if it becomes stuck. Ducks typically poop anywhere. The only way I have found to manage this is to limit food before you put them up. We have one that sleeps inside in a dog crate with straw in the bottom, she goes back outside every morning. The first thing ours usually does when they get out in the morning is hit the food bowl and then the water for a bath. As for how long to keep on starter. I am honestly not sure what is recommended. I switched ours when they were fully feathered and ready to join the others (we have chickens in the same pen) outside and only our starter was crumble we feed everyone else pellets (less waste). They have to have water to eat so make sure there is plenty, it is deep enough for him to wet his eyes, and always available. Aside from water being necessary to eat they also need it to moisten/clean their eyes and nares. Do you only feed at certain times or is it there for him to eat when he is ready? If it is only there at certain times he may be trying to eat too much too fast and not taking the time to drink.
Ducks (all fowl that I know of) LOVE grass. Ducks are omnivores, they eat grass, veggies, fruit, and meat (fish, frogs, mice, bugs, or any you give them) Dark greens do provide nutrients although I do not know the nutrient content of grass, just know it is normal. Do be careful with grass clippings, make sure they are tiny pieces-large ones can cause impacted crops.

Thanks Quakers for ur pics and from what I've read my guys are just that... gUYS!! There feet are hugeeee and there legs are fat....and they have grown soooo fast! I'm actually trying to rehome them and if anyone knows a good family in Michigan... Or I would be willing to ship them. I simply can't give them the life they deserve..... I want them to go somewhere they can pretty much free range in the day and be sheltered and locked up at night and come to find out my subdivision association won't allow me to put up a coop
sad.png
(so any takers and ill ship!!!
Have you posted them on the BYC rehoming thread? or your states thread?

What has worked well for me is to moisten the crumbles...not watery, just wet enough to carry some moisture. My ducks prefer their feed this way, rather than the dry method. Also, wayyyy less waste too!

he wont get in the kiddy pool anymore any idea why this might be?
also, im not sure what to feed him now hes only about 2 or 3 months old and ive fed him flock raiser which he didnt seem to like to much it was too powdery now i feed him dumor starter/grower but it stinks so id like to get something else and he likes the pellets but all the pellet food in my area says to not feed to ducks under 18 weeks old. anyone know of any good pellet food for young ducks?

Last edited:

What has worked well for me is to moisten the crumbles...not watery, just wet enough to carry some moisture. My ducks prefer their feed this way, rather than the dry method. Also, wayyyy less waste too!
I do mine the same way moistened. good advise.

Back
Top Bottom