Muscovy keepers share your pics!

They are beautiful! I love it they are still following mom. Close knit family. We have been having such mild temps I wouldn’t be surprised if mine don’t start laying again they haven’t laid sine early Nov.

They are beautiful! I love it they are still following mom. Close knit family. We have been having such mild temps I wouldn’t be surprised if mine don’t start laying again they haven’t laid sine early Nov.
Mine generally won't lay again until May or after here. It has been much milder here too. I will have fun breaking up all the best this year. I do enjoy them, so it's worth it. They are great for bug control. All summer long they are out wandering the yard at night. It's cool to see.

You don’t have a predator problem? Mine wouldn’t stand a chance if I left them out over night.
I've lost 3 muscovy in 20 years to coyote, and one was killed by a hawk. We have donkeys that help with predator protection as well as my hunting husband. I can always tell when something has been coming around as the muscovy will suddenly refuse to leave the shed. They are very smart. Being able to fly away helps too, at least for the hens. All my chickens are free range too.

My donkeys have stomped a goat who got into their pasture, he's partially paralysed on one side. I also have to watch my dogs as they will go after them. I also think they stomped a muscovy drake years ago and killed him. I've seen them chase feral cats out of the pasture, and my husband saw them grazing right beside a coyote hunting mice. So they aren't always correct in their choices, but they definitely have saved more than they haven't.

Back
Top Bottom