Muscovy keepers share your pics!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by keeperofthehearth, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

You don’t have a predator problem? Mine wouldn’t stand a chance if I left them out over night.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Got my Puppy

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I've lost 3 muscovy in 20 years to coyote, and one was killed by a hawk. We have donkeys that help with predator protection as well as my hunting husband. I can always tell when something has been coming around as the muscovy will suddenly refuse to leave the shed. They are very smart. Being able to fly away helps too, at least for the hens. All my chickens are free range too.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  3. Miss Lydia

That’s amazing I love donkeys I have read they make great guardians .

4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They can be hit and miss sometimes, but in general they keep stuff away. I doubt I could free range without them as the woods around here have lots of coyote living in them.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  5. Miss Lydia

A lot of farms have donkeys protecting Cattle and goats and sheep around here.

oldhenlikesdogs likes this.
  6. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    My donkeys have stomped a goat who got into their pasture, he's partially paralysed on one side. I also have to watch my dogs as they will go after them. I also think they stomped a muscovy drake years ago and killed him. I've seen them chase feral cats out of the pasture, and my husband saw them grazing right beside a coyote hunting mice. So they aren't always correct in their choices, but they definitely have saved more than they haven't.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  7. Miss Lydia

Wow interesting. Sounds like you’ve had them for quite awhile?

8. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    The mom donkey is 31. I adopted her from the adopt a burro program 30 years ago. Her boys are 21 and 22, so we have been together a long time.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  9. Miss Lydia

They are so pretty! Such a pretty place you have there. That’s sounds old for mama donkey?

10. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    She is struggling to keep weight on these days as she's missing a few teeth. Donkeys can live into their 40's but generally 30's is a good life. She's still feisty. We will see how it goes for her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: