Muscovy keepers share your pics!

not to be a crab. but, seems alot of talk and not many pictures!!!

but i realize that lovely pics do engender appreciative conversation and interest.......

smile.png

not to be a crab. but, seems alot of talk and not many pictures!!!

but i realize that lovely pics do engender appreciative conversation and interest.......

roll.png

So, where are some more of YOUR Pics?
smile.png

I could post pic's of my Scovies everyday but figured people would get tired of seeing them. Speaking of Scovies, I can see mine foraging/eating my flower bed so I best be off and move them out.

We want to see more of your Pic's, John.​

Don't mean to change the subject of the thread, but there seems to be a lot of muscovy owners here that might be able help me out. I had 7 babies (6-7 weeks old). One became "sluggish" yesterday afternoon so we removed it and brought it inside. It was eating and drinking but passed away this morning. Now my remaining 6 babies are acting just fine, but all of them seem to be losing their feathers/fluff in small areas on their backs. I didn't know if they have been picking each other or maybe they are molting--our temps here have been in the mid to upper 90's. We have had them since they were a few days old so I have no idea why the one passed away (may have just been meant to be)--but I am a little apprehensive about the "bald" areas on the rest of the babies that have shown up the last couple of days. Any ideas or advice?

Forgot the pictures--you'll have to excuse their appearance, they just got out of the pool
big_smile.png

Here is a "bald spot"--looks a little larger because my baby was still damp.
27814_mus1.jpg

Here are my two darkest babies getting a bite to eat while enjoying the pool.
27814_mus2.jpg

And here are my three "blue/grey" babies--don't know what color they will be but they are so pretty.
27814_mus3.jpg

I tried my best to get a pic of Tiny--my smallest baby--but it kept hiding from me. Tiny is half the size of the rest of my babies and is the only one without a bald spot (Tiny is 5 weeks old). Maybe I can get a pic later.

Last edited:
It would help if you have a picture so we can see their backs. With that kind of heat, check to make sure their feed isn't molding. Be sure to have fresh cool water available at all times and a nice shady area to stay in. Could they have gotten into anything? My Scovies are always in the carport chewing on whatever they can find: Styrofoam, cardboard, plastic, weeds growing in the corners.
roll.png
I'm not sure if Scovies/Ducks have problems with mites but you might want to check for that, can't hurt. Anyone else have any ideas?
Also, you might try posting in the emergency, wounds, diseases.

Okay, pics posted. The bald spot looks a LOT worse than it actually is. The dark brown duckling has some more true to size on its back--they aren't very large, but I am worried since we lost the one this morning. I have got to run to town for a bit, but will post the pics in the Emergency thread when I get back. As for getting into anything, we don't let them free range unless we are out there with them and we don't have a thing laying around they could have gotten into. They are put up in a large pen that we can move around (duck tractor). I was hoping that they might just be losing some fluff before feathering out and that it MIGHT be normal. I don't want anything happening to my babies
hit.gif
!

So sorry you lost a duckling. My oldest are only 2 weeks old, so I'm not sure what's going on with the backs on yours. Maybe it's unrelated to the death and they are just getting ready to grow in real feathers? Anybody know?

Now for pictures. My 2 day old chocolate ripples on their first excursion out in the big world.

100_2373.jpg

100_2386.jpg

I was talking fowl with my friends aunt the other day who has a farm. We got into the subject of scovies and she told me how she had a chicken hatch one of the eggs for her since the mom scovie had hatched all she wanted to it seemed.

The momma chicken starte squakin up a storm and when Aunt Pat came out the chicken was going crazy circling a puddle that the duckling had found to play in. Funniest thing she ever saw. Anyone have experiences like this?

Back
Top Bottom