1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Muscovy laying eggs but not sitting on them

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Breemae123, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Breemae123

Breemae123 Songster

Mar 30, 2018
    I have 3 females and 1 drake. This is my first time having ducks and they just started laying. We are up to 17 eggs but I have not seen her sit on them. She made a nice nest for them in the duck house and lays the eggs there every night. There have been 2 new eggs in the morning last few days. I haven’t seen them sitting on the eggs at all though. Is she (or they) still not done laying? Should I wait or remove them? We do want babies so I don’t want to take them if they will hatch.

Attached Files:

Raenh and Kessel23 like this.
  2. AlleysChicks

AlleysChicks Enabler Premium Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Ohio
    If she’s not broody she won’t sit on them. I’d collect the eggs and incubate them if you want babies.

Breemae123 likes this.
  3. Kessel23

Kessel23 Crowing

Feb 6, 2018
    Wisconsin
    Moscovies usually have a clutch of 15, I had a hen who would have a clutch of 30 each time. You said there is 2 new eggs every day? Then it is a shared nest, each hen probably only has 8 or so eggs, they should set them soon.

Raenh, Miss Lydia and Breemae123 like this.
  4. Kessel23

Kessel23 Crowing

Feb 6, 2018
    Wisconsin
    I don't know how a shared nest would work, or if it would work, maybe you could get them to lay in separate spots?

Breemae123 likes this.
  5. Soon2BChixMom

Soon2BChixMom Crossing the Road

Jan 8, 2017
    NE Indiana
    My Coop
    @Nyla gets massive Muscovy nests where two have laid eggs. Maybe she can give some advice.

Raenh, Nyla and Breemae123 like this.
  6. Nyla

Nyla Crowing

Jan 3, 2017
    Northwest, Indiana
    My girls share nests all the time. I always leave the eggs to pile up so my girls build their fluff nest. Once the fluff nest is built, I swap out the old eggs with freshly collected eggs. I also keep track of when the female starts staying on the nests over night and day. I have cameras in my coops that record all movement. They are connected to WiFi so I can check on them from the house. My ducks prefer a dark place out of the light and far away from all my other ducks to nest. I suggest marking all the eggs in the nest so when they do finally decide to set, you can remove old ones and replace them.

Breemae123 and Soon2BChixMom like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: