muscovy losing feathers/wet feather

i bathed them in dishwashing liquid and im gonna see how this pans out but already their feathers feel softer where i got the dirt and old oils off

not to kick a dead thread, but fionn tends to sit on the porch like a lot. he gets up and runs around occasionally on his own or when prompted and seems like he has the energy to and i dont think he sleeps when he sits there. with the feather stuff, do you think this is smth to worry about?
i read that mature scovy drakes tend to be lazy and sit around a lot like is it normal

This time of year my Muscovy drake is more active he follows his females around quite a bit and if he wants to get in the pool he has to walk up a hill but most of the year he is pretty lazy boy he is 6 yrs old.

As long as your feeding a good diet I really don't know what else you can do, when he does bathe does he preen his feathers? That is how he is going to get his feathers in top shape.

good to know hes supposed to be a lazy boy lmao
and he actually preens quite a bit so im assuming he does. his feathers have always been a bit ratty and he seems to have taken the brunt of the damage so he may just have to molt to get back to normal but im adding some eggshells and kibble into their daily food so i hope he picks up some

Egg shell will be good for your females but your drake doesn't need the extra calcium so maybe offer the shells separately. Good protein is important for feather quality.
Usually my drake can look pretty ratty by mid summer but most of the time it's because he has been fighting with my gander. :rolleyes:

i might add boiled eggs with the shells once a week then and the kibble is kitten chow so the protein is p high (i feed like every other day to avoid angel wing)
and they do fight so some of it may be that

Mine seem to always end up fighting against the fence which really does a number on feathers.

If you can get your ducks to eat boiled egg let me know only my chickens like eggs.

the poor bbies,,,, mine grab each other on the feathers between the wings and just hang on. it's terrible. fi gets the brunt of it where hes smaller so i hope thats why his neck feathers look so weird

and my boys love eggs! they go wild for them tbh

That is so cool yours like eggs. Maybe I'll try again but those chickens can sure scarf them down fast.

You maybe on to something with the feathers now.

Back
Top Bottom