Muscovy mama not paying attention to other eggs.

Sportjunkie1

Hatching
Jun 19, 2017
I have a muscovy mama that hatched 3 of her 13 egg clutch that seems to be paying less attention to the remaining. She hasn't booted them and still sitting on them. They look like they are ready to hatch.

I'm worried that this isn't normal and don't want to lose the remaining ducklings.

Any thoughts?

You should provide feed and water for her Ducklings close to the nest...She might then continue longer to hatch the other eggs?....
I have done that and she is still fenced in with her nest. To keep the chickens out. The ducklings are going out and about but coming back to mama. But they are thriving.
She is still sitting periodically. They look ready to pop. I just don't want to lose any of them.

I have had occasions where my Silkie hen left her nest after her first egg pipped. Worried about the humidity considering in the previous batch when that happened, one got shrink-wrapped and needed assistance, I took the eggs and put them in the incubator to hatch.

Surprisingly mama hen took the babies back with 0 issue despite me taking the eggs and some of the chicks hatching 3 days after I took them, unlike the last batch that even with one she saw hatch under her she attacked. She is looking after them as a good mama and won't let any of the 3 month old chicks near them, but tolerates the rooster around them and I haven't seen any aggression from the roo either, just flirting with the disinterested and somewhat annoyed hen. :p

All you can do is wait...It sounds like she is still trying to hatch more.. Glad the little ones are doing so good...Momma seams to be content in her current situation so fingers crossed they start hatching...
All you can do is wait...It sounds like she is still trying to hatch more.. Glad the little ones are doing so good...Momma seams to be content in her current situation so fingers crossed they start hatching...
Fingers crossed. Thanks for the input.

I'll keep you posted.

Back
Top Bottom