Muscovy Mud Wrestling!

americanchicks

Songster
11 Years
Jun 26, 2012
Buckley, Wa
Here is what happened. I let the ducks free range for the first time in a while. Been having issues with birds of prey. Well last night 2 girls did not make it back to the duck pen, Lady and Sassy. Put in Lady first all where happy to see her. Then put in Sassy and all seemed well. I then went looking for eggs and saw Sassy attacking Lady right in the muddy patch. It made me think of girls duking it out in a mud pit. Well even though sassy is younger and smaller she pinned Lady down. Ok dominance is done and all should be fine. Nope she went after Lady again. This time both where really going at it. Pulled off Sassy and Lady walked away to the other side of the pen. Let sassy go and she went right for Lady again! This time I just let them do their thing. Mikey, my drake, was standing over them cheering on. Like I said mud wrestling :) After a few min no one was backing down. I then Grabbed Lady off and Sassy kept going at her. I then just put Lady outside the pen. I have had drakes fight but never the girls. Sassy has always been feisty, hence her name. When I bring in a new duck no matter the breed or gender, she goes at them.

I am looking to thin out my scovy flock anyway. I was planning on keeping both these two but if this is going on I may rehome one of them. Sassy is younger only a year. She has bond with my drake and is very friendly. Also very calm when you hold her. But like I said she gets aggressive with the newbies. Her personality reminds me of her uncle Tux. In fact that is why I had to get rid of Tux he kept fighting. Even with the chickens. Lady mostly keeps to herself. I am unsure on her age because I got her at a poultry auction. She is not skittish around me but is not friendly either. But she is very pretty, dark green back with a white head and neck. She looks like a big seagull. Now the question is who do I re-home? Has anyone else had issues with the female fights? BTW duck ratio 2 Drakes, (one dominate one submissive) 7ducks

My Muscovy can get moody this time of year hormones are beginning to flow. So when one gets out of hand she is not allowed to sleep in the coop with everyone else. I have a small coop that was once my chicken coop that I use for broodies and chicks or ducklings and also any bully Muscovy duck. After a few nights of sleeping by herself at night she usually has gotten over it. And goes back with the flock. I will say Muscovy sure do love a good fight and cheer it on.

Back
Top Bottom