Muscovy not getting in water &....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Shared Acres, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    We have 6 Muscovies. The big male has stopped getting in the water most of the time. And if he does he doesn't seem to have any oils to help the water slide off. He gets out looking like a wet dog.

What do you think is his issue?

2. purelypoultry

purelypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    What are you feeding him? Is he getting any corn? Fats?

Birds need fats in their diet in order to produce healthy feathering.

3. Shared Acres

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    He's got feed store feed and he free ranges. The other 5 aren't doing it.

Note: He's my inlaws, they live next door. I know they get fed every day. Inlaws expressed concern.

I'm in Fla, and it's been rather warm lately 60-70s.

4. ricklo

ricklo Chillin' With My Peeps

My older male goes in the water the least of all my muscovies, followed by the mama female, sometimes only once a week, they take dust baths like the chickens. I am in a warm climate here in Brazil, too some days it gets over 100 degrees.
    But the the young ones are another story in the water at least 3 times a day. [​IMG]

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Muscovies aren't generally water birds. The reason he looks like a wet dog is probably because their oil glands aren't as developed as other ducks.

6. Shared Acres

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Normally he looks fine and it slicks off of him.

Trying to figure out why all of a sudden he doesn't want to get in the pond and is looking like that.

Wondering if he is sick.

Acts normal otherwise.

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Mine are similar, I worry because of the freezing temps - I did post a while ago about one of my boys, he had taken a dip and then froze [​IMG] I had to bring him in the house to thaw out, let him take another dip in a cold bath, dried him off some with a towel and put him back outside. (he POOPED in the bath and on the floor - how RUDE)
    I have noticed my males are dirtier right now than the girls. (I can see out the window, one of the boys is taking a dip now [​IMG] )

8. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    He might be getting ready to molt.
    I notice mine will look pretty ratty and waterlogged a week or so before their molt starts. Their feathers are worn out and have lost their tight weave.

Like was said above also, scovies are not water birds like mallard derived ducks are. The young ones are in the water alot, because young ducks like to play, no matter who they are. Older scovies take their bath and get out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by