Muscovy not getting in water &....

Shared Acres

Songster
11 Years
Aug 10, 2008
Northeast Fla
We have 6 Muscovies. The big male has stopped getting in the water most of the time. And if he does he doesn't seem to have any oils to help the water slide off. He gets out looking like a wet dog.

What do you think is his issue?

He's got feed store feed and he free ranges. The other 5 aren't doing it.

Note: He's my inlaws, they live next door. I know they get fed every day. Inlaws expressed concern.

I'm in Fla, and it's been rather warm lately 60-70s.

My older male goes in the water the least of all my muscovies, followed by the mama female, sometimes only once a week, they take dust baths like the chickens. I am in a warm climate here in Brazil, too some days it gets over 100 degrees.
But the the young ones are another story in the water at least 3 times a day.
lol.png

Muscovies aren't generally water birds. The reason he looks like a wet dog is probably because their oil glands aren't as developed as other ducks.

Normally he looks fine and it slicks off of him.

Trying to figure out why all of a sudden he doesn't want to get in the pond and is looking like that.

Wondering if he is sick.

Acts normal otherwise.

Mine are similar, I worry because of the freezing temps - I did post a while ago about one of my boys, he had taken a dip and then froze
th.gif
I had to bring him in the house to thaw out, let him take another dip in a cold bath, dried him off some with a towel and put him back outside. (he POOPED in the bath and on the floor - how RUDE)
I have noticed my males are dirtier right now than the girls. (I can see out the window, one of the boys is taking a dip now
gig.gif
)

He might be getting ready to molt.
I notice mine will look pretty ratty and waterlogged a week or so before their molt starts. Their feathers are worn out and have lost their tight weave.

Like was said above also, scovies are not water birds like mallard derived ducks are. The young ones are in the water alot, because young ducks like to play, no matter who they are. Older scovies take their bath and get out.

Back
Top Bottom