Muscovy Oil Gland Pictures--Please have a look and give me your opinion

Kwyjibo

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 1, 2011
Bainbridge Island, WA
Hello All,

I have a Muscovy hen with Wet Feather. Unfortunately for her, I didn't understand that was her problem. She would never bathe but instead dip her head in the water and fling it on her back. Here are some pics of the very enlarged oil gland. I plucked the feathers to check for abcess. I can see no opening where oil would normally come out. Do they have one or does it normally ooze from the gland? I've seen my drakes glands and I've checked the healthy ducks to see what an oil gland should look like. I couldn't even find one on my healthy hens!

The pictures are blurry--sorry,it was the best I could do. But you can see that it is very swollen into a round knob. No oil coming from it. It feels hard all the way through--no softness about it at all. And I can't really see a place where pus is trying to break through. I think it may be red from my plucking the feathers and squeezing to see if I could drain it.

I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thank you :) Julia

Hello All,

I have a Muscovy hen with Wet Feather. Unfortunately for her, I didn't understand that was her problem. She would never bathe but instead dip her head in the water and fling it on her back. Here are some pics of the very enlarged oil gland. I plucked the feathers to check for abcess. I can see no opening where oil would normally come out. Do they have one or does it normally ooze from the gland? I've seen my drakes glands and I've checked the healthy ducks to see what an oil gland should look like. I couldn't even find one on my healthy hens!

The pictures are blurry--sorry,it was the best I could do. But you can see that it is very swollen into a round knob. No oil coming from it. It feels hard all the way through--no softness about it at all. And I can't really see a place where pus is trying to break through. I think it may be red from my plucking the feathers and squeezing to see if I could drain it.

I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thank you :) Julia

Oh my that looks angry, when my Muscovy girls had an impacted oil gland, I used warm compresses on her. I soaked her with epsom salt water on a wash cloth then massaged her oil gland with olive oil, if you have coconut oil you can use it. It took about a week for it to clear up, Since this duck was solid white I could see the yellow wax on her feathers and knew it was up and running again. Hope it works for your girl too. Soak her for at least 15 min. I wouldn't squeeze it though it may make it worse. let it open on it's own. You may be able to get some drawing salve at your drug store or feed store to rub on it also.

My white muscovy ducklings glands are starting to produce wax you can see the yellow goo on the gland it is bright yellow so hard to miss I think you should try what Miss Lydia said I hope it works for your girl
fl.gif

Thank you for taking the time to give me your input :) I took BonnieBlossom to the vet today and the vet's bigger concern was BB's anemia---the oil gland though swollen and not producing oil isn't infected. It was softer today than yesterday and I plan to use a warm compress 3 times a day to see it makes a difference. I haven't been able to get BB to eat dry dog food and she didn't show interest in the wet food either. So, tomorrow I try tuna.

The vet first made sure BonnieBlossom wasn't eggbound or emaciated. She's not padded, but not too skinny either. She ran a blood test--results are pending---to check for parasites and may also check liver function if it won't cost too much. She only charged me $6 for the blood test. Dr. Barfield and I are both practical about cost so I may not go the distance w/ the liver functions. I'll hopefully hear results tomorrow. She said that usually oil gland problems are a secondary symptom of something else. And she suggested that she may need to be culled
sad.png
if she is unable to regain her health. Her feathers truly do look awful. Geez, I hate this. Poor thing didn't have a great life to begin w/ before I got her. I hope there is something I can do to get her healthy again. She's not a very pleasant duck but I certainly don't want her to be culled. Her name is BonnieBlossom for Pete's sake! You can't cull a duck named BonnieBlossom!

Thanks again :) Julia

Thank you for taking the time to give me your input :) I took BonnieBlossom to the vet today and the vet's bigger concern was BB's anemia---the oil gland though swollen and not producing oil isn't infected. It was softer today than yesterday and I plan to use a warm compress 3 times a day to see it makes a difference. I haven't been able to get BB to eat dry dog food and she didn't show interest in the wet food either. So, tomorrow I try tuna.

The vet first made sure BonnieBlossom wasn't eggbound or emaciated. She's not padded, but not too skinny either. She ran a blood test--results are pending---to check for parasites and may also check liver function if it won't cost too much. She only charged me $6 for the blood test. Dr. Barfield and I are both practical about cost so I may not go the distance w/ the liver functions. I'll hopefully hear results tomorrow. She said that usually oil gland problems are a secondary symptom of something else. And she suggested that she may need to be culled
sad.png
if she is unable to regain her health. Her feathers truly do look awful. Geez, I hate this. Poor thing didn't have a great life to begin w/ before I got her. I hope there is something I can do to get her healthy again. She's not a very pleasant duck but I certainly don't want her to be culled. Her name is BonnieBlossom for Pete's sake! You can't cull a duck named BonnieBlossom!

Thanks again :) Julia
My goodness pleas let us know results when you find out, Can you get her on some good poultry vitamins? Nutri drench is a very good one and Avia Charge 2000 is another one. I hope she will be okay , did she give you any ideas why she would be anemic?

Hi All,

Still no news on the BonnieBlossom front. Her blood tests were normal but the vet is consulting an aviary veterinarian. I continue to use a compress, massage, and encourage her to eat protein. She didn't seem to want the tuna. Maybe cat food next.

Hi All,

Still no news on the BonnieBlossom front. Her blood tests were normal but the vet is consulting an aviary veterinarian. I continue to use a compress, massage, and encourage her to eat protein. She didn't seem to want the tuna. Maybe cat food next.
My ducks aren't a big fan of Tuna or salmon, but they will eat Purina Puppy chow. Thanks for the update, I was worried when you hadn't posted yet.

Back
Top Bottom