Muscovy owners: A couple of questions regarding health and flock management.

Soon2BChixMom

Herding ducks and Wrangling chickens
Jan 8, 2017
First, I noticed some tiny orange spots on one of my muscovy hen's caruncles. She is acting fine. She is molting, but so are the others and none of them have these spots. I will try to get a pic, but I am doubting my success of getting a good shot. :D
The only thing I read was about orange on caruncles was that they could be becoming broody or are anemic. She is not even close to being broody. Not, sure how she would be anemic either as she gets a complete diet through an all flock feed the same as the others.
Am I just being too observant? Or is there something to be concerned about?

My other question has to do with the flock. I have 3 hens and one drake. The drake likes all the girls. :D But, one of them gets picked on and ostericised by the leading duck hen. So much so, that if I have a treat, I have to feed her separately. I also think the drake favors her. She looks a bit different than the other two as she has a white head and the other two are splotched with brown (so they look almost identical).
The one that gets picked on is not the one with the orange spots. However, I had one hen who suprisingly laid about 4 eggs a few weeks ago. I am pretty sure it is the odd duck out. Anyway, if I added a few more hens, do you think it would help so she isn't singled out? Or would they still behave the same way with her for whatever reasons? She is my favorite - but she has always been more curious (until she started molting and then she stayed her distance, but I understand molting is uncomfortable).

Once mine start into molt and stop laying for the year their carbuncles go orangey looking then in spring back to dark red once mating season begins. I wish there was an answer about the girls mine have taken to going by days as to who picks on who. And you’d think they’d be settling down now that mating season is over. I never know who is going to be odd girl out till they go to bed at night then I see one being chased back out, once the ones inside settle down she goes back in. Getting a few more females may at least give her a friend or two. I hate when one is left out.

This is the best I could do with getting a photo. She has one tiny spot on the other side of her face (smaller than this patch).
2018-10-21-09-09-22.jpg

Once mine start into molt and stop laying for the year their carbuncles go orangey looking then in spring back to dark red once mating season begins. I wish there was an answer about the girls mine have taken to going by days as to who picks on who. And you’d think they’d be settling down now that mating season is over. I never know who is going to be odd girl out till they go to bed at night then I see one being chased back out, once the ones inside settle down she goes back in. Getting a few more females may at least give her a friend or two. I hate when one is left out.
I kind of wish I could have gotten 4 females at the time, but these were the only females of the hatchlings when I got them.
Maybe I will have to let one of my hens hatch a brood in the spring. :p
Oh boy, would I be in trouble. :lol:

I will just keep an eye on the orange spots then. She seems fine otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom