Muscovy Pros and Cons?

@perchie.girl I am in PE and I use hyacinth in the eco pool, it works really well but I have to fence it off from the ducks because they can obliterate 10sqm of it in a matter of days. I am a huge arum lily fan so try and use it as much as possible wherever I can. It also can withstand a muscovy onslaught better than the hyacinth. But I like that it grows so quickly, when there is too much I just take a plant out the pool and put it in the bath for the ducks to devour.

An article about the eco pool? Or which subject do you mean?
Both the duck pond and Eco pool.... I started a thread some time before BYC switched formats on water conservation.... They both fall in to that category... It lost impetus before the conversion.

But I think its a worth wile point of interest for many reasons... Drought being foremost in my area.

deb

Scovies rock! I keep mine with wings clipped so they don't roost on the roof of their shelter in their pen anymore (it's about waist height stable style) but I change their bedding where they sleep at night because they are so messy. I don't have aggression issues unless hand feeding meal worms, they can get a bit snappy but think that's more because they want them so badly and not from aggression. I have 3 girlies and they started laying August 3rd and to date I have had on average 3 eggs a day with one girl taking 3 days off but she has started up again. We don't eat the eggs as quickly as they are being laid, but we try do alot of baking. They are quiet, great foragers and weeders (in the drought that's the only thing that seems to have survived!) They dont spend as much time in the water as other ducks so my bio filter system in the bath tub I have set up in their pen is not under as much strain as it should be. The only disadvantage I have is their claws, they can be quite hectic, so I learnt to clip wings at night while they are passive to save my arms. Oh and another disadvantage is that indefinitely don't have enough of them!

We got 3 from the feedmill as ducklings and they are over 2 months now. We love them-my boyfriend isn't as excited over the chickens and now ducks as me. haha! They are free ranging with the chickens and they love it! We have this uneven ground on our land and one area is like a big puddle that they really enjoy

We got 3 from the feedmill as ducklings and they are over 2 months now. We love them-my boyfriend isn't as excited over the chickens and now ducks as me. haha! They are free ranging with the chickens and they love it! We have this uneven ground on our land and one area is like a big puddle that they really enjoy
Cool! Can't wait to get mine this fall!

Back
Top Bottom