Muscovy Pros and Cons?

Peep boy

Songster
Jul 20, 2015
St. Stephen, MN
Hey all! Wondering about Muscovies. I am looking to add two hen Muscovies to my flock of chickens. Thoughts? About how many eggs can I eggspect from the duckies? I use a nipple waterer for my chickens. I know the ducks can't use that. Until water freezes, they will always have access to fresh drinking and bathing water. Would love to hear thoughts and suggestions. Will they help defend the flock from predators?

I love, love, love muscovies. They can be very sociable and friendly, and are very self-sufficient. They are great for meat production (except since you only plan on hens ...).

I've never had hens only, but then you won't have to worry about over-excitable drakes taking it out on chicken hens, possibly, if you know what I mean.

The biggest problems you might have are if the scovies tussle with the hens a bit over food. The scovies may throw their weight around, but the chickens should be faster. Most likely I don't think you'll have a problem with dynamics.

Mine laid 2-3x a year, clutches of about 12-16, then hatched them. I don't know what will happen if you take the eggs. They are pretty seasonal though so you might not get constant laying.

They will probably appreciate bathing water, that they don't get as excited to have it as other ducks. Mine were more interested in food than anything, and followed me around begging like little puppies. I love the little raspy sound they make, not obnoxious like some ducks.

I doubt they will actually protect from predators, but they can be very vigilant. If your girls learn to watch them for cues, they might be helpful. I'm not sure the chickens will do that though ... they seem much more attuned to a roo or dominant hen. I'm not sure I've ever seen chickens take cues from ducks in all my flocks, but then I always had both sexes of both.

Good luck if you go ahead with them. :)

Thanks! This is a weird question, but do the ducks and chickens talk and understand each other?
I would say they do not communicate to the degree that say, two chickens communicate.

I had a very mixed farm - chickens, ducks, muscovies, geese guineas, along with goats, llamas, rabbits.

The animals communicate to a degree across species (depending which species and what message), but nowhere near with the complexity within a species.

They will probably only understand each other on a very basic level. One bird wants food and barrels in, the others know it intends to get it and gets out of the way to prevent being grabbed. Things like that.

I've seen ducks do the "sky eye" thing that means hawks are overhead, and the chickens would be oblivious until a roo or hen noticed the hawk and screamed the alarm.

Interesting! My old roo would always let out a little gargle when we saw a bird in the sky. I'm going to see how well a sorority coop goes. All my Roos this fall are going! I also have heard the stories of aggressive drakes, and didn't want to deal with them. Haha, I'm using Muscovies as a gateway into waterfowl. Would like to eventually get a pair of white Africans, but I'll probably have to settle for Browns. Any other comments on Muscovies?

For just a couple of girls, there's not a lot to worry about. My guess would be they may want to bed down in a corner nest on the coop floor. You'll want to provide for that.

They are probably the easiest of waterfowl to manage. Do be aware that they can be a bit dangerous to pick up, as they often have long sharp claws and they can flog a bit with wings as geese may do when picked up. Hopefully you won't need to, but if you do, learn to secure the wings against the body and pick them up with the legs facing away from you. They sometimes perch, climb, and fly too (sometimes not).

But they are great little birds. And most likely a hen will take on responsibility for warning the others, I'm guessing. I have very limited experience with hen-only flocks of chickens, but that's what happened with mine (and they had formerly been with Roos).

Thanks! I'll try moving some perches around then, so they can sleep on the floor if they want to without getting pooped on! What do you suggest for water in the winter? I am in central Minnesota if that helps.

For the water I'm not sure. I've had them in places where it froze and I'd have to wait until a couple of hours of sun to break it up and given them more, but I think you're dealing with worse. And obviously they need access to water.

Some kind of warmer? A lamp? Is it warm/insulated enough in the coop? (Though open water in the coop can cause other problems.) Larger volumes so it freezes slower?

I doubt I'm helping much. I've had more trouble dealing with heat than extreme cold. Mine stayed thawed for half the time, and much of the other half they slept, so I didn't have too much trouble even then.

I do have a bucket water heater, but I might have to invest in a stock tank heater for a kiddie pool. Or will a bucket be fine for drinking? I've had a huge problem every winter with trying to give water to my girls. I tried giving water in a bucket once, but they would poop in the water. I'd say keeping the kiddie pool open all winter might be my best option, but I'd love to here your thoughts.

Just seen this.
Pros.:
They his and peep not quack
They arn't as fond of water like common ducks are
They are good brooders
They are excellent mothers
They taste great meat wise.
They get along great will other poultry and even cats and dogs!
Cons.:
They have CLAWS and will use them if needed!
They are very aggressive towards humans when they have babies.
They can fly.
They like to eat until theres no more food.

Back
Top Bottom