Muscovy questions -

Baybrio

Crowing
14 Years
Jun 11, 2008
Poplar Grove, IL
Answers to all these questions are probably somewhere, but the muscovy thread has 800 pages!!!!!!!!

Long time lurker/first time muscovy owner here. I have five ducks and a drake. They roam about the yard and farm all day. I feed free choice flock raiser. I got them a few months ago, they were almost full grown then.

First - Can males get too big (and fat) to be healthy? And if so, how can I tell. Romeo seems to really waddle a lot more than any other animal I've ever seen!

Second - is it easier for them to um, you know
roll.png
in the water, and if so, how much water do they need? They have a small tub that is only about 8 inches deep.

Third - I took 20 infertile eggs out from under a duck and put four eggs from another nest under her. She stopped setting and left the nest about a day later. If I candle the eggs in the nests of the ducks that are now setting will they abandon their nests? I want to candle them because Romeo (the big drake) is just figuring out his job and I don't want the ducks to sit on infertile eggs for a month.

Fourth - Why are they more afraid of me when I'm talking nicely to them than they are of the huge skid loader bearing down on them?

I LOVE these ducks - boy can they clean out a water mellon rind!!!!

Answers to all these questions are probably somewhere, but the muscovy thread has 800 pages!!!!!!!!

Long time lurker/first time muscovy owner here. I have five ducks and a drake. They roam about the yard and farm all day. I feed free choice flock raiser. I got them a few months ago, they were almost full grown then.

First - Can males get too big (and fat) to be healthy? And if so, how can I tell. Romeo seems to really waddle a lot more than any other animal I've ever seen!

Second - is it easier for them to um, you know
roll.png
in the water, and if so, how much water do they need? They have a small tub that is only about 8 inches deep.

Third - I took 20 infertile eggs out from under a duck and put four eggs from another nest under her. She stopped setting and left the nest about a day later. If I candle the eggs in the nests of the ducks that are now setting will they abandon their nests? I want to candle them because Romeo (the big drake) is just figuring out his job and I don't want the ducks to sit on infertile eggs for a month.

Fourth - Why are they more afraid of me when I'm talking nicely to them than they are of the huge skid loader bearing down on them?

I LOVE these ducks - boy can they clean out a water mellon rind!!!!
My males are big and they all have FR free choice. I haven't ever seen an over weight Muscovy drake I'd think if they are getting adequate exercise daily foraging all over they should be fine. If your concerend though you could let them forage in the daytime and feed in the late afternoon, but I like the idea of my girls having feed anytime they want it since they are laying right now.
Mine will mate in and out of water and i don't think it matters how deep the water is i have a large kiddy pool and small kiddy pool and a cement mixing tub and they mate in all 3. I think it is easier on the girls to mate in the water instead of having the heavy drake smashing her into the ground and mine like to bathe afterwards.
wink.png

Once my girls commit to brooding I wait till they come outside in the daytime then I go in close their door and take a few eggs at a time go into my feed room which is dark and candle mark the ones I've candle if fertile toss the ones that aren't. I have never had one of my girls leave the nest once they are 100% broody, even if i stick my hand under her she'll most likely pinch me for it though.

I don't know why your ducks are more afraid of you than the huge skid loader bearing down on them maybe because it doesn't talk.
tongue.png
Ducks are prey so even when they trust us I think that's always there. Have we seen pics of these Muscovy's yet?

Thanks for the answers Miss Lydia (my name is also Lydia
smile.png
). Even though everyone mentions that muscovy drakes are large I really was not prepared for just how large! Romeo was just hen size when I got him.

I have some time off for the next few days so I'll try and sneak in to candle the eggs when the ducks are off their nests. I know one tends to come off when I let them all out in the morning. I'll have to watch for the other.

None of the ducks mind the giant skid loader but one was a riot, she was walking and hunting for bugs right where I was trying to go . Every few steps she's look over her shoulder and tell me off, but wouldn't hurry and wouldn't get out of my way. Too Cute!!!

Thanks for the answers Miss Lydia (my name is also Lydia
smile.png
). Even though everyone mentions that muscovy drakes are large I really was not prepared for just how large! Romeo was just hen size when I got him.

I have some time off for the next few days so I'll try and sneak in to candle the eggs when the ducks are off their nests. I know one tends to come off when I let them all out in the morning. I'll have to watch for the other.

None of the ducks mind the giant skid loader but one was a riot, she was walking and hunting for bugs right where I was trying to go . Every few steps she's look over her shoulder and tell me off, but wouldn't hurry and wouldn't get out of my way. Too Cute!!!
That's funny they do get bossy at times. When I go worm hunting with mine if I don't get the rocks turned over fast enough I have one that will fuss at me. Make sure to close the door when your taking the eggs for candling that way she can't get back to the nest til your through. and don't forget the pics.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom