Muscovys who has them? and can provide tips?

Wow guys! So walked in tonight to collect eggs and almost got hit again. I keep forgetting the female flies. So I'm looking around for the drake and I'm counting chicken butts and I'm looking at the the ducks walking around upset and I start to panic cuz I don't see the second biggest bird I have now. He was laying with the chickens who dont roost on the bars lol so apparently when it's time to sleep no grudges are held. Although they were rather mad when he swung his butt and knocked them off like they were bowling pins :lau

My female hasnt laid since I've had her so no breeding here at least yet

What other questions were there..oh yes I call him my feathered dog but he makes a hah sound like hes panting. At least I'm pretty sure its him and the female has been quiet as far as I know

No frostbite here I'm in florida we may get some frost once in awhile but we never stay cold for long

Someone said mice?!?! What!! Well that's probably good. When the construction is done around their coop the yard will be expanding to a side of the property that has had things sitting in it for years and alot of brush to go through I just have to figure out how to set up a poultry net

LOL yeah... i had some females who flew onto the house roof and peeked in the skylights...

Drakes hiss and huff... females have a range of vocals right down to a proper honky quack.

They eat frogs too ew. Glad no FB issues! I do not find them as winter hardy as my mallard derived.

Can you get better pictures? The bigger one looks feminine to me, but it could be your pictures.

I don't do much extra for my muscovy. They do like whole corn, and freedom. Mine forge out property every time they can. They are even out at night in the warmer months looking for bugs.

My muscovy are very winter hardy. They take baths daily even throughout winter and will often have icicles hanging off them.

That's what I thought too!! There were 3 and the black/green one was twice its size

But I'm glad they dont have many bugs yet but it wont be long where they have their own place to look. I'm just hoping I dont have to go duck egg hunting I have a kacki laying in the chicken nest box and it's kinda nice not having to look lol

Attachments

• 20181106_164237.jpg
    20181106_164237.jpg
    352 KB · Views: 9
That's what I thought too!! There were 3 and the black/green one was twice its size

But I'm glad they dont have many bugs yet but it wont be long where they have their own place to look. I'm just hoping I dont have to go duck egg hunting I have a kacki laying in the chicken nest box and it's kinda nice not having to look lol
That does look a bit more drake like, maybe it's young yet? Is it's legs thicker?

My muscovy only make nests under cover like in my shed or under the goat feeder. One did happen to fine a hollowed out log once, but otherwise I haven't had mine hiding too well and I can usually locate the nest. They are very vicious when broody. I think that's the only down side to muscovy, well that and them making a mess out of my waterers.

You should get gorgeous ducklings out of yours if they are a pair, but I personally can't tell for sure. Generally males are twice the size or more than the females.

That's the one I left and in the pic it looks smaller but he was twice the size of the blue one that's why I thought the blue was a female.

I heard they are good nest sitters and I have call duck females and kackis and maybe 1 blue runner their sex remains undetermined :mad: anyway my thought if they have some eggs to hatch the muscovy would help out lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181108-220437_Craigslist Postings.jpg
    Screenshot_20181108-220437_Craigslist Postings.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 9
That's the one I left and in the pic it looks smaller but he was twice the size of the blue one that's why I thought the blue was a female.

I heard they are good nest sitters and I have call duck females and kackis and maybe 1 blue runner their sex remains undetermined :mad: anyway my thought if they have some eggs to hatch the muscovy would help out lol
Maybe the blue one is younger than the black one? The drakes tend to have a fan shaped tail and the hens tail is in a v shape. When they are younger it's harder to distinguish, but at around 5 or 6 months you can definitley tell.
You said it was barking at you, to me that sounds like a drake. :)

Can you get better pictures? The bigger one looks feminine to me, but it could be your pictures.

I don't do much extra for my muscovy. They do like whole corn, and freedom. Mine forge out property every time they can. They are even out at night in the warmer months looking for bugs.

My muscovy are very winter hardy. They take baths daily even throughout winter and will often have icicles hanging off them.

Mine are to a point but i definitely find mallard derived to be more so, i honestly have lost some in very bad cold snaps.. not once have i ever lost a mallard derived due to cold. Mine will forage 24/7 if allowed too but predators also like them, well my females the drakes are less vulnerable due to the massive size.

They are the king/queen of the bug eaters that's for sure... kinda sad they don't have that option year round here...

Personally I'm gonna section off a part of the yard and make it one huge run. So they will have the coop and the coop has a roof over the porch so to speak so they can be out of weather if they choose and then they can walk out into their own personal paradise with leaves to forage and greens to eat. I just have to figure out how to get a poultry netting around the area.

Back
Top Bottom