Muscovys who has them? and can provide tips?

New2chickz

Chirping
Aug 14, 2017
Alright guys. I got 2 muscovys recently to add to my flock. I was going for 2 females and I think I ended up with a pair. **sigh** someone said that's better but idk at this point. lol Ive heard a lot about males

so ive added a pic..any tips? anyone know any treats they like?? we are on day 3 and they stick out like sore thumbs by themselves

Attachments

• 20181106_125958.jpg
    20181106_125958.jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 25
Yall are lucky. Lol

I went into the coop late lastnight and forgot my new comers fly and almost got taken out by the I assume female of the 2 who was hiding on a roost with the chickens

That's about all the interaction I've gotten lol and the blue one sounds like a dog everytime I come in :idunno

Hopefully that will change a little lol or at least they get to mingle a little better than they are

Peas mine love peas lol. Lettuce is a meh, mind you they are nibbling a bit at the pumpkins surprisingly.

Watch they fly, some drakes can when smaller/younger mine always went to large and don't.

They breed like rabbits, so be careful if you don't want to be overrun. They like to kinda bath but generally mine are not into water in a big way nothing like my mallard derived.

If you live where it;s cold watch the facial fleshing, it frostbites just like Roosters ...

Muscovy were my "starter" birds.. at one time a had dozens now less than 20. They are fabulous bug eaters ...

One pretty one i still have at least for today lol(sorry kinda J/k)

IMG_2275.JPG

It's probably a good thing you have two. My muscovy is certainly the outcast of my flock and even being one of the biggest drakes in my flock is still harassed by even my small mallard hens. Luckily I raised him with other ducklings who play well with him and are accepted by the rest of the flock, but their older ducks know he's different from them and outcasts him. Hopefully this doesn't happen with your flock but figured I'd share incase it can help!

Can you get better pictures? The bigger one looks feminine to me, but it could be your pictures.

I don't do much extra for my muscovy. They do like whole corn, and freedom. Mine forge out property every time they can. They are even out at night in the warmer months looking for bugs.

My muscovy are very winter hardy. They take baths daily even throughout winter and will often have icicles hanging off them.

That's what I thought too!! There were 3 and the black/green one was twice its size

But I'm glad they dont have many bugs yet but it wont be long where they have their own place to look. I'm just hoping I dont have to go duck egg hunting I have a kacki laying in the chicken nest box and it's kinda nice not having to look lol
That does look a bit more drake like, maybe it's young yet? Is it's legs thicker?

My muscovy only make nests under cover like in my shed or under the goat feeder. One did happen to fine a hollowed out log once, but otherwise I haven't had mine hiding too well and I can usually locate the nest. They are very vicious when broody. I think that's the only down side to muscovy, well that and them making a mess out of my waterers.

You should get gorgeous ducklings out of yours if they are a pair, but I personally can't tell for sure. Generally males are twice the size or more than the females.

My Muscovy's love dried meal worms, good quality dog dry dog feed, and 6 way scratch. This is only a treat in the afternoon they also get a whole grain feed. They also love romaine lettuce and other greens.

My Muscovy's love dried meal worms, good quality dog dry dog feed, and 6 way scratch. This is only a treat in the afternoon they also get a whole grain feed. They also love romaine lettuce and other greens.

thank you! I made the joke when I got them one sounds like a panting dog lol but I didn't actually excpect dog food on that list!! gonna look into scratch they have nibbled at the feed but my chickens are always brats to new comers and muscovys seen non confrontational

Back
Top Bottom