Muscvoy hen with swollen eye

duckstogoaround

In the Brooder
Dec 27, 2015
Orangevale, California
Hi everyone,
One of my hens has had a odd and strange eye starting this afternoon. It's not bubbling or anything it just looks a lot different than the other eye. Here's pictures: please tell me what you think.
swollen eye
normal eye

Last edited:
I suspect something got in her eye and is irritating it.

Vetericyn makes an opthalmic gel, you could use a mild saline solution to rinse it, too.

Does she have water deep enough to rinse her head in?

yeah she has another water and I'm just thinking using gel or drops would be difficult because they get very aggressive around people. But she might not be getting access to water because the dominance duck gets territorial when she tries to go in ponds @Amiga

I would set her up with something she can wash her head in, and get Vetericyn spray set it to mist, and mist her eye as she walks by. I had to do that with Carmella once. She is a bit shy of people. So I'd just do that. It's best to get on it right away to prevent infection.

I would set her up with something she can wash her head in, and get Vetericyn spray set it to mist, and mist her eye as she walks by. I had to do that with Carmella once. She is a bit shy of people. So I'd just do that. It's best to get on it right away to prevent infection.
Oh okay thank you, I'll try that
big_smile.png
!! In your opinion, do you think it's very serious based on the pictures?

Back
Top Bottom