Mushroom foragers

This is Western Oregon and we have all kinds of fungi growing everywhere due to the climate. We discovered last year that we had morels growing around the fire pit in our yard! This year we found many more, quite a few growing under logs in other areas of the property where we'd burned. We used some fresh and dehydrated the rest. They are so good! One summer a few years ago the pasture was covered with meadow mushrooms and I didn't know what they were until a neighbor stopped by and asked if he could harvest them. Since then my horses and goats have kept the ground pretty barren and prevented them from coming back :( My first year here, in all my excitement, I picked dozens of what I believed were oyster mushrooms growing on dead logs on the hill. To this day I'm not sure if I got a bad one in the mix or confused the whole bunch with angel wings, but there was one particular day I used some in a lasagna and we all got sick. I avoid those altogether now lol.

This time last year I could not find any Shaggy Mane mushrooms because they were buried in the grass. Yesterday evening I managed to pick a hat full of them while hunting for guinea eggs.

Battered and fried in butter, they were melt in your mouth tender and delicious with a little salt, pepper and garlic powder mixed in the batter.

Looks like I need to harvest the oyster mushrooms.
full

This time last year I could not find any Shaggy Mane mushrooms because they were buried in the grass. Yesterday evening I managed to pick a hat full of them while hunting for guinea eggs.

Battered and fried in butter, they were melt in your mouth tender and delicious with a little salt, pepper and garlic powder mixed in the batter.

Looks like I need to harvest the oyster mushrooms.
full
I had a chunk of the oyster mushroom for lunch, sauteed in butter with salt, pepper and garlic powder for seasoning. It was delicious.

We have not been back out looking again. It's been almost constantly raining so everything is a horribly muddy mess :/ I can't even imagine what the trail looks like right now where we found the chicken of the woods :/
The rain has stopped here. The Shaggy Manes in the guinea pen got so wet and sucked up so much moisture that they pretty much exploded. At least living on a sand dune, I don't have any mud to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom