Mushroom foragers

Pics
Here are some of the pics I promised:

Amanita Gargantua (seriously I don't know what it is other than an Amanita but it was huge
and I swear it came up in 2 days!)

There is too much light to tell for sure but it resembles one of my favorites - Macrolepiota. There are similar, Lepiota species and three of them (I think) are poisonous.
I used to pick some having cap over 8 inch in diameter. There are more than 40 members but I have seen only 2-3. They have very pleasant smell, delicate taste and the good ones have distinct double ring on the stem, which are not attached. Don't take this as positive ID which is impossible for me to do from this photo. This may be as well Lepiota helveola, which is toxic (contains cyclopeptide).

Vtech

Last edited:
One of the biggest Boletus I ever found (in edible condition).

Last year harvest. Close to 15 pounds of dried, plus additional 10 pounds of frozen. Mainly Boletes, Leccinums and Xerocomus.

Katsdar,

Morels yes but there are more edible and good mushrooms to be found now than in a spring. Also, there is usually less worm-infested ones when weather cools down a bit. I start foraging by July and most of my finds contain too much "proteins"
big_smile.png
but usually, by the end of august and september there are more healthy ones, not counting small snail or mice damage.
You have a warmer climate than mine and some species may still grow while we have a first frost or snow on the ground.

Vtech
Thanks, seeing all the wonderful finds makes me want to get out there and start hunting

Thanks, seeing all the wonderful finds makes me want to get out there and start hunting

If you have a chance, don't hesitate. Walk in a woods can be very relaxing and mind clearing. It isn't what you find and how much what matters. This is a different world, free of many aspects which drain our energy and slowly consume. Couple hours spent in a forest with mind set on searching can recharge our internal batteries. We may get back physically tired but refreshed and uplifted.

Vtech

WOW! That is amazing! Thank you for sharing that picture, it gives a forager hope. Truly impressive!!! The bolete pic is just wild. They are such a cool tasty shroom too.

Thanks for the welcome @Bogtown Chick! I'll be sure to get on the computer and post some pics. :) Morels can be very hard to find when you start, but once you keep going it's sort of like you get and eye for hem and you know when they're around.

I did not do great yesterday but I thought I would post some of the stranger ones I found. I did not pick any of these and do not even know their names or if they are edible.

The first one is Popcorn I think. I seem to recall reading about it once. BTW I will be posting one species per post, as the rules (I made) say so we can concentrate better on one species at a time and to avoid confusion as to which ones we are talking about when there are several. Confusion is not a good thing in mushroom foraging!

This is the next one.

I cannot even say for sure what it is growing on. It appears to be growing on wood, even though it is on the ground. I think each time we found it there was a little stick under it.

As you can see it is gilled and the stalks are very short.

Back
Top Bottom