Mushroom foragers

Pics
I tossed the bedding from my first brooder (what two years ago) out there under the deck and they grew in that this year. As soon as I put their fruit height into the calculator comes back with no matches.

This is why I've focused on Morels and sheep's Head or Ear (depending on what part of the country you are from). They are easy to identify and nothing that looks even similar to them is poisonous.

ETA:
I have a lot of fallen timber around here so thinking about doing log plugs. I really need to over to the north side of the mountain and look there as conditions are perfect right now... Only about a mile walk (one way) and 400' of elevation. I'd love to plant morel spores, but need to find the right location and am still pretty clueless about shrooms. Bought some box kits a few years ago and grew them in a basement closet... Had a great harvest and had to dehydrate a bunch of them as we were getting too many to eat. Don't have a similar environment here.

DSCN0776.JPG
Todays haul . Marshal county IL .

Went on walk about and found this;

401.jpg

405.jpg

Any idea what it is? It does not turn purple or smell bad,,,,,,,,
Oh ya, its growing on a sand rock.

Attachments

• 402.jpg
    402.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 4
I went back and looked around this morning, there is a huge oak tree within18" of these. This tree is alive but looks like it was covered with them before, all shriveled up now. And several trees that died right after our 5+ earthquake, also old oaks, also look to have been covered with them. I will need a ladder to get to them!
I got about 5 lbs from this "chicken of the woods". So now I have another place to watch for wild eatables!

Back
Top Bottom