Musings From my (not so) Little Flock

I don't know much about turkeys - do they eat the same food as chickens?
Yes. And a TON more than chickens. They try to rule the coop but I have a very big Rooster that keeps them in line. They just are not cute/pretty/handsome like chickens are and they have attitudes. I am just not a turkey person lol

Yes. And a TON more than chickens. They try to rule the coop but I have a very big Rooster that keeps them in line. They just are not cute/pretty/handsome like chickens are and they have attitudes. I am just not a turkey person lol
That's handy! I was thinking they'd need different food because they do different things, like roosters and hens needing slightly different diets.

It makes sense they'd eat more, they're a lot bigger!

I thought since I love talking about my chickens and taking pics of my chicks that I would start a thread. Right now I terrorize my poor mother in law with all my ramblings LOL.
I started our flock with 4 chicks and that was all we were going to have (insert laughter).
Born in June 2 wks old:
Welbar-Goldie (hen), Black Copper Marans Cockerel-Midnight (Roo)(was supposed to be a pullet), 2 Sapphire Gems (1 Roo)-Thelma &Louise- Killed by Predator @ 13 wks old. These were all from Tractor Supply and all mislabeled lol.
Well we discovered a local chick farm about 10 mins down the road from us and they are amazing. So at hubby's prompting we grew our flock (yes it was actually HIS idea).
Born Aug: 2 wks old: Bantam Silike (Sassy), Easter Egger (Cleo) (4wks at the time), Oliver Egger (Stormy), Silver Laced Wyandotte (Lacey).
These were strong sturdy babies and have grown very nicely. Hubby built a new coop upgrade and we decided that we would love a few more. I really wanted some polish and he wanted some good egg layers so off we went.
Born Sept: 2 wks old: White Leghorn (Cracker), Brown Leghorn- Caramel, Mystic Maran (Mystique), Golden Comet (Angel), Polish. (Fuzze died-Wry Neck), Polish (Bowie)
Polish (Holly), Bantam Silkie (6wks at the time)(Goofball), Rhode Island Red (Cinnabon), Turkey (Gizmo), Light Brama (Oreo). Yes hubby wanted a turkey (god only knows why). Besides the Polish that ended up with Wry neck, all are strong and healthy. We purchased an add on chicken run and just added to our crew (chicken math is real lol)
Born Late Sept: 1.5 wks old: 2 Blue Plymouth Rock (Mumble & Bumble), 2 Isa Browns (Grace and Ginger), 1 (added a turkey because we were told that the other one would be lonely being the only one) Turkey (5wks old)- Stryker.
So far this is our little family. We have 18 Pullets, 1 Rooster and 2 Turkeys :)
I really have enjoyed the building of the flock and hubby has enjoyed working on making their coop just right. He worked really hard and I think they are super spoiled. I do mash and leave pellets out as well. The babies are still in the brooder in the garage, the middle kids are in the run in a separate enclosure to introduce to the big kids and the big kids and the turkeys have the enclosed run and the free range during the day fenced run.
Here are a few pics of everyone and their coop. The first coop pics were before it was secured. That one is now plywood enclosed half way as well.

They are wonderful ❤️

I thought since I love talking about my chickens and taking pics of my chicks that I would start a thread. Right now I terrorize my poor mother in law with all my ramblings LOL.
I started our flock with 4 chicks and that was all we were going to have (insert laughter).
Born in June 2 wks old:
Welbar-Goldie (hen), Black Copper Marans Cockerel-Midnight (Roo)(was supposed to be a pullet), 2 Sapphire Gems (1 Roo)-Thelma &Louise- Killed by Predator @ 13 wks old. These were all from Tractor Supply and all mislabeled lol.
Well we discovered a local chick farm about 10 mins down the road from us and they are amazing. So at hubby's prompting we grew our flock (yes it was actually HIS idea).
Born Aug: 2 wks old: Bantam Silike (Sassy), Easter Egger (Cleo) (4wks at the time), Oliver Egger (Stormy), Silver Laced Wyandotte (Lacey).
These were strong sturdy babies and have grown very nicely. Hubby built a new coop upgrade and we decided that we would love a few more. I really wanted some polish and he wanted some good egg layers so off we went.
Born Sept: 2 wks old: White Leghorn (Cracker), Brown Leghorn- Caramel, Mystic Maran (Mystique), Golden Comet (Angel), Polish. (Fuzze died-Wry Neck), Polish (Bowie)
Polish (Holly), Bantam Silkie (6wks at the time)(Goofball), Rhode Island Red (Cinnabon), Turkey (Gizmo), Light Brama (Oreo). Yes hubby wanted a turkey (god only knows why). Besides the Polish that ended up with Wry neck, all are strong and healthy. We purchased an add on chicken run and just added to our crew (chicken math is real lol)
Born Late Sept: 1.5 wks old: 2 Blue Plymouth Rock (Mumble & Bumble), 2 Isa Browns (Grace and Ginger), 1 (added a turkey because we were told that the other one would be lonely being the only one) Turkey (5wks old)- Stryker.
So far this is our little family. We have 18 Pullets, 1 Rooster and 2 Turkeys :)
I really have enjoyed the building of the flock and hubby has enjoyed working on making their coop just right. He worked really hard and I think they are super spoiled. I do mash and leave pellets out as well. The babies are still in the brooder in the garage, the middle kids are in the run in a separate enclosure to introduce to the big kids and the big kids and the turkeys have the enclosed run and the free range during the day fenced run.
Here are a few pics of everyone and their coop. The first coop pics were before it was secured. That one is now plywood enclosed half way as well.

You silkie is a cutie. You like Polish? Here are Mr P my Polish Roo and his main lady my Silkie, Wee Marty (they are an item and one day she attacked me when I was messing with her man!).
84132C2E-BCF0-4759-8D8C-5FA6EE202E32.jpeg

It has been awhile so here is the Update...this is my crew as of right now. I have over half of my girls laying now. Surprised that they started at this time but we are in FL so its not all that cold and Hubby added some lights to the coop so that has helped. He turns them on at like 3:30 when he goes to work and then i turn them off when I go out to let them out and feed and water them.

My Olive Egger, Stormie, was my first to lay and that was about a month ago and she has not missed a day yet. Kinda shocked me! The other girls followed shortly there after. My Welsummer is my dramatic layer. Takes her an hour and several "songs" to get her beautiful speckled egg out.

We did have to re-home our Rooster and our Turkeys due to a ordinance in the area that we moved to. The girls moved very well (it was about 25 miles away) int he back of the truck in the enclosure. About a month after the move both my Silkies that were my faves started crowing...so off to a new home they went and we got our Sapphire Splash in their place.

I am excited to get some chicks in the spring ( I have 12 picked out but have gotten Hubby to agree to 4 to replace the ones we had to lose.).

That's about all for now. I have learned so much over the last 7 months of this journey. I love my girls and love taking care of them. I have to nurse a few back to health and have lost some to baby chick death and 2 to predators way back in the very beginning. We learned and adjusted and became more educated and well versed for it.

I love this site as it is where most all of my education came from. It is a huge way I get through my day working from home.

Cheers til next time!

Attachments

• soliomplus_IMG_20230108_04401010_3_106_.jpg
    soliomplus_IMG_20230108_04401010_3_106_.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Snapchat-1150624463.jpg
    Snapchat-1150624463.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230118_160826.jpg
    20230118_160826.jpg
    951.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230117_095908.jpg
    20230117_095908.jpg
    754.6 KB · Views: 3
  • image000002.jpg
    image000002.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230109_105539.jpg
    20230109_105539.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20221212_163125.jpg
    20221212_163125.jpg
    815.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220924_104914.jpg
    20220924_104914.jpg
    699.6 KB · Views: 1
  • soliomplus_IMG_20230115_0829099_3_106_.jpg
    soliomplus_IMG_20230115_0829099_3_106_.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 1
Wow! Lots going on! Sorry you had to rehome some, and I think a good compromise between the 12 you want and the four he thinks you should have would be, well, 12!

Lovely flock, great eggs and I am jealous of anyone who has fingernails. I did, once, a long time ago. Sigh.

Glad the BYC community has been helpful to you!

Back
Top Bottom