MUST. FINISH. COOP! (Done!)

Awesome Gary! Must feel good to get it done!

Its been terrible here weather wise so still not done with my coop. Hopefully we will have some snow melt this weekend so we can get back out there. Chicks grow fast!

Looks great!
Thanks MM

Well "done" is relative to the structure itself, now I have to do the interior!

Gary

Quote: Ahhhh....so the thread title is not quite accurate...YET!
Plugplugplug...it's amazing how long the details can take.
Can't wait to see your chickies in there!
No need to tag me, I'll get notification when you post here as I've subscribed to this thread to follow along.

It's not the that the tree is big, its that it's so close to the house and now the coop.
Were the roots cut to place the house and coop foundation?

Ahhhh....so the thread title is not quite accurate...YET!
Plugplugplug...it's amazing how long the details can take.
Can't wait to see your chickies in there!
No need to tag me, I'll get notification when you post here as I've subscribed to this thread to follow along.

It's not the that the tree is big, its that it's so close to the house and now the coop.
Were the roots cut to place the house and coop foundation?
The garage was built 15 or 16 years ago and the tree survived it, I did cut one 5" diameter root in order to get my footings the right depth but my arborist friend assures me that the tree won't suffer. I think it will be ok:)

Gary

Man I would love to cut that 300 year old cedar on my mill. I could build 100 plus coops out of it. The eastern red cedar around here is usually rot in the middle by the time they get 18-20" wide in the trunk. I have found 5 in the last 3 years that were not rotted. My biggest being 23" and I used it on my porch of my house. I wish we had some or that red cedar that grows out by you. Big old suckers would be great for my deck I need to add to the house.

Scott

Man I would love to cut that 300 year old cedar on my mill. I could build 100 plus coops out of it. The eastern red cedar around here is usually rot in the middle by the time they get 18-20" wide in the trunk. I have found 5 in the last 3 years that were not rotted. My biggest being 23" and I used it on my porch of my house. I wish we had some or that red cedar that grows out by you. Big old suckers would be great for my deck I need to add to the house.

Scott

It would be a lot of wood thats for sure, there are two big stumps on my property from someone who had the same Idea 60 or 80 years ago before this area was subdivided

Gary

Edited to add, it takes three adults to join hands at the base of the tree

Last edited:
Great coop
smile.png
. Imma build a chicken coop for my coturnix quails. It'll be over the garden (kind of like apartments on top.) Any tips for construction?, It'll be smaller

My best construction advice is plan on it taking twice as long and costing twice as much as you plan, that way there will be no surprises...

Good luck

Gary

Gary not being a butthead but I finally found a coop to rival my own creation. And let me tell you I love your design.
I also agree with the 2x as long and much as you think. But 2-3x less than buying one of equal size and design.

Scott

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom