MUST. FINISH. COOP! (Done!)

I'm a newbie chick mama. Although my 11 year old says she is the chick Mama and I'm the chick grandma. We bought our 10 chicks(pullets) at a local Tractor Supply March 27.There were 6 Leghorns and 4 ISA Browns. I went there to purchase my coop kit and get supplies and order 10 Buff Orpington pullets because I have a friend that works there and gave me a 15% off coupon. My daughter saw the leghorns and Browns and wanted them that night. I caved so we brought them home. Had I known the leghorns personality better at the time I would have stayed strong and said no. Anyhow, things have been going well. While at TSC on Saturday they had my Buff Orpington pullets with Black sex linked pullets. Well the others are only 3 weeks old and there were my orpington pullets. Needless to say, i asked for 6, 3 Black and 3 Orpington. Then the employee said, "They are buy 6 get 2 free." I brought home 8 more. I tried putting them together but it was way too cramped and the olders started picking on the younger ones. I separated them for now.
My daughters and I put the biggest coop TSC had together and it is not big enough for all these chicks. We need to build a larger one but I think it was at least a good starting point. We recycled our old dog runs we don't use anymore for the run. We have chicken wire to reinforce the bottom 3 feet of the chain link and to also put along the top to protect against predators from above. We got the runs laid out yesterday, painted the coop to match the house. The day before that, we had to build a frame from pressure treated 4x4 to place the coop on to level. It was easy to put together, but not sturdy or built well. It is Ok for us for now.
Have to get working on finishing it soon because the chicks I think are ready to go out. The brooding box (stainless trough from TSC) is not big enough and they look to be fully feathered. A couple are trying to do their bath in the pine shavings. We do not have consistent 55F+ nights though, sometimes the day too. We live in the southern Adirondack Mountains in upstate NY. I can put a heating lamp in the coop at night but wondering if they will be OK. Thoughts suggestions for this new chick mama?
Pics of everything coming soon. My phone is not cooperating.
I would go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a shed, and convert that. Those pre fab coops are cute but too small. Good luck

Gary

Last edited:
So after months of reasearch, and months of labor and more $ than I am willing to admit to I have finished, well at least the building itself is done interior yet to be done, my coop. I bring to you "Peeps Place"

First I had to dig out a level spot by the garage....

Thankfully I hired that part out:)

Nice deep footings....

Then the block foundation...

Then framing....

And more framing...

Then sheathing....

And more sheathing....

Then cut out the windows and egg door...

set up scaffolding and started staining and painting....

All painted, windows installed ( two more, side and back)
Looks good on the outside! Predator proof, all openings 1/2 inch hardware cloth. Dirt floor , 1ft concrete footings to deter diggers, I missed getting pics of the roof and skylights, but it has a roof!

I will update with interior pics as I finish up, for now I need to clean out the wood inside and get ready for my peeps in 10ish days!

I am so grateful to this community , I would have made a mess of this without you guys

Here are a couple inside pics, still working on it....

I will get a pic straight on of the brooder, it is in front of a window.

The loft..

Well done it looks fantastic!

That's so great! I'm with you do it right the first time. For me, it likely means a little longer to save up but rather do that then build and .... build again!! Where I live I see lots of large chain link fenced runs and everything you can imagine for coops. I'm super new to this site and there is almost too much information? Lol

So after months of reasearch, and months of labor and more $ than I am willing to admit to I have finished, well at least the building itself is done interior yet to be done, my coop. I bring to you "Peeps Place"

Nice deep footings....

Then framing....

And more framing...

Then sheathing....

And more sheathing....

Looks good on the outside! Predator proof, all openings 1/2 inch hardware cloth. Dirt floor , 1ft concrete footings to deter diggers, I missed getting pics of the roof and skylights, but it has a roof!

I will update with interior pics as I finish up, for now I need to clean out the wood inside and get ready for my peeps in 10ish days!

I am so grateful to this community , I would have made a mess of this without you guys

I like the brooder higher up to do maintenance. Does it have a wire floor? If so, what type and what is beneath it?

The loft..

Nice deep footings....

Then framing....

And more framing...

Then sheathing....

And more sheathing....

The loft..

Your poultry lives in a mansion compared to some of the hooligans down our road!
Bravo!
It is beautiful. You guys did an excellent job! You have some lucky chickens!
:thumbsup

Last edited:
Your poultry lives in a mansion compared to some of the hooligans down our road!
Bravo?

Haha, yes I guess. Its only about 170 Sq Ft, flock of 7 are loving it. Likely will never have more than 12 in there. If I ever decide no more chickens I can re-purpose it into a tiny house or office or really nice shed....

Gary

Back
Top Bottom